Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-19-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to gumbuc.com
Default Dual Boot?

If i was to buy anouther hardrive lets say a 80GB and i took out my old one with windows 7 and i installed linux unbuntu on my 80GB then i plug back in the hard drive with Windows 7 would it work as dual boot? what would happen?

gumbuc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Dual Boot?

If you're talking about just booting from the one hard drive and swapping over whenever you want to change OS's then it would - provided you set both environments up properly you could just swap between them when you wanted.

It's a bit of a cumbersome approach though - if you definitely want to dual booth, a better idea might be to have both hard drives in there at once, install linux on one and let it install GRUB which will let you select your OS on start up, without having to swap any drives.

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to gumbuc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
If you're talking about just booting from the one hard drive and swapping over whenever you want to change OS's then it would - provided you set both environments up properly you could just swap between them when you wanted.

It's a bit of a cumbersome approach though - if you definitely want to dual booth, a better idea might be to have both hard drives in there at once, install linux on one and let it install GRUB which will let you select your OS on start up, without having to swap any drives.
but what whould happen when there both in would it give me a choice or would i need ot edit bios to run a ciertian hard drive
gumbuc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
but what whould happen when there both in would it give me a choice or would i need ot edit bios to run a ciertian hard drive
As I said, when you install most easy to use flavours of linux (Ubuntu and varients included) it gives you the option to install GRUB and use it to dual boot. So when your machine boots up, you'll see a menu and you'll just select what OS you want to boot.

If you put both in at once without this approach, then you'll have to select what OS you want to boot from by changing the boot options around in the BIOS (selecting whatever hard drive you want to boot from) - not the nicest of ways to do it.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Just a general heads up when dual-booting linux and windows: Install windows first, then linux. When you install windows it overwrites the boot loader and will create entries for existing OS installations provided they are some version of windows. When you install linux it also overwrites the boot loader, but linux will create entries for non-linux OS installations as well, not just other linux installations.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Solid State Member

In short, NO. You need to use a piece of freeware to dual-boot, or, if it's supported, you can choose a dual-boot option in Linux, during the install. JUST INSTALLING LINUX ON A SEPARATE HARD DRIVE AND CONNECTING IT TO YOUR COMPUTER WILL NOT WORK. When the computer starts up, it refers to a file called "boot.ini", unless you're running Vista or 7, and from there, it knows what OS to start. If you just plug in a hard drive with Linux on it, the boot.ini file is not changed, and so it will just start Windows like it would without the other hard drive.

Enjoy and Please Rate!

Sincerely,
pwn_n00bs
pwn_n00bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Solid State Member

Dual booting is good but how to determine in which sata hard drive the motherboard will search first for the grub. As in sata there is no choice between master and slave. In sata you have sata port 0, port 1, port 2 & port 3 etc but their order is immaterial.

I have heard of a concept of primary and secondary hard disk for sata drives. But how do we actually make a disk either primary or secondary. And will it help me to select which among the two hard disk the motherboard will first look for grub in.
ajsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Hi,

You will want to install grub along with whatever disk you install your linux distro on. When it comes to getting grub to work with both there are couple of changes that may need to happen but nothing to drastic.

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Solid State Member

what changes and what settings
ajsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Hi,

You will need to know what disk and what partition all your OS's are on. The simple way to figure that out is to do an fdisk -l in a terminal. Then we can check your menu.lst file to make sure that you every thing matches up.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote