dual boot

david90

In Runtime
Will I have a dual boot system if I install window server 03 to a system currently running windows vista? I will isntall on a different partition of course.

If you install it in such a way that you can choose which operating system starts each time you boot your computer.

Because of the way Vista boot loader works, I think you'll probably have to install 03 Server first, then Vista. At least that's how you have to install an XP/Vista dual boot unless you use some third party boot manager using drive images.

Because of the way Vista boot loader works, I think you'll probably have to install 03 Server first, then Vista. At least that's how you have to install an XP/Vista dual boot unless you use some third party boot manager using drive images.

You're right. I installed win srv 03 before vista and my system just boot into win srv 03 and didn't show the boot manager menu. I tried to install GAG (boot manager) but weren't able to boot into vista. I got the "autochk not found" error message. I used a partition software and found out that my vista partition was hidden so I unhide it. vista started working again but now my win srv 03 wont boot. I got "NTLDR missing" error. fudge me.

I didn't mess/edit with the win srv 03 partition at all. I don't know why the boot sector is messed up

This question is unrelated: Why does the computer need boot.ini to tell it where the os is installed when the partition loader (in the same sector as MBR) can do the same?

solved

Back
Top Bottom