Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Driver Update

Trying to learn about updating drivers on my PC. My question is when you have the device you want to update the driver for embedded in the MOBO, where would you go to get the driver? Also, if the device is not embedded but a card in a slot, where would you go to get the driver?

I tried DriverMax (free) and it says I have 24 drivers to update. Using Device manager, is says all are up to date. What is the best way to get drivers updated?

copiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Driver Update

Try Driver pack solution, a work collague was talking to me about it today and I think he said it goes and finds the drivers and will downlaod and install them for you, its also free ware.

I keep meaning to download it and have it installed on my external harddrive so I can run direct on alien machines without haveing to install it. Seem like a very usefull tool.

AnthonyMcEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Golden Master

I wouldn't trust the driver finders, They are nothing but trouble and total rubbish. The best way to update your drivers is by going to the manufacturers website and downloading the latest version from them. If you don't know the name of the a device a good utility I use is Halfdone: Unknown Devices which finds the names of unknown devices making it easier to find drivers.
BK_123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
I wouldn't trust the driver finders, They are nothing but trouble and total rubbish. The best way to update your drivers is by going to the manufacturers website and downloading the latest version from them. If you don't know the name of the a device a good utility I use is Halfdone: Unknown Devices which finds the names of unknown devices making it easier to find drivers.
This is a commen topic at work, while yes doing it that way it certainly better and more through as you can go to device manager and doanload the all the drivers you need, it is also a slow and lenthy procsses.

Even more so if you are refurbing a PC from scratch aka fresh windows install, not like just updateing one or two drivers, plus with these programs it tells you wich ones need updateing ware as doing it munaly mean you need to go and search the excat pice of hard ware to justfind out if it even has a update let aonge downloading and installing it, so doing this for every part of a refurbished PC...no thanks!

so we often use these at work, (charity orginsation) and even have driver packs made up ready to install direct form a network onto a machine.

But I wont disbute doing it the hardway is likely more through! And 100% the best way to do it one your own / home pc to keep it up to date.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
In Runtime

Thanks BK. I thought I read sometime back that driver update software was not a good way to go. Now I know. I think I'll stick to the old fashion way.
copiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copiman View Post
Thanks BK. I thought I read sometime back that driver update software was not a good way to go. Now I know. I think I'll stick to the old fashion way.
Yes, just to calify, for a home user on personl PC its the best way to go, just saying it dosent always work in some situations!