Driver memory

Radesign58

Solid State Member
After a couple of years unsuccessful looking for solutions for my problem, hope that Computerforums.org can help.

I have MSI laptop, GP72, 7RD Leopard, GTX 1050, Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i&-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 8.0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 630.
Laptop itself working perfect, but have two serious problems:
1. My Windows (C:) is only 117GB and biggest part of memory is sitting on Data (D:) drive
2. Because of it I cannot update Windows because says not enough memory

All my programs are on C drive.

My question is: Is there possible to allocate memory from D to C drive without affecting any program and files because I don't want to reinstalling them yet again.
Please, is there any solution?
Cheers

Attachments

• 2019-10-13_101535.jpg
    2019-10-13_101535.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 5
Yes, you can resize the partitions. EaseUS offers a free trial that should do what you need.

Apparently Windows can do it as well. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Thanks buddy! I have full version of EseUS and will try following your instructions. I basically need to increase C: drive and decrease D: who occupies almost 1TB of space.
As I understood you answer I need to cut from D: drive and give to C:
Thanks once more.

It's slightly more complicated than that. You first need to shrink the D: partition to make room on the drive to increase the C: partition. That will leave room (unallocated disk space) on the far side of the D: partition. Then you will need to swap the D: partition with the unallocated space to make that space adjacent to the C: partition. Once you do that, you can then expand the C: partition into the unallocated space.

Are you sure the two partitions are actually of one physical storage unit? If they are not, you cannot extend the "C:" drive with the free space of "D:" drive. Not sure, but from the attached screenshot, they seem separate. I hope not, for your sake.

Make sure of it from the Disk Management section found in Computer Management window. You can get to Computer Management by pressing the Windows sigh button (next to Alt and Ctrl buttons on the keyboard) and typing "management". Search suggestions should show Computer Management on top at least in Windows 7.

If they are, you can do that without extra software. Extra software could give you more options, tho. Right there in Disk Management is one way to do it or look around the full version of EaseUS you have. You can then decide between the two methods as members kindly provided above.

If the two partitions turned out to be of separate physical storage units, you have the option of only replacing the "C:" drive with a bigger one, or clear some space. Are you sure stuff are managed well between the two drives? Maybe delete or push what's not OS critical from "C:" to "D:" ?

Last edited:
Try this method but as said these methods will only work if your D: is a partiton of your C: drive. If C and D are separate drives then there is nothing you can do to increase C: other than buy a bigger disk or swap your D and C disks around b ut this will require a re-install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di4N6AWydaA

Will follow your instructions. I am graphic designer and not much know about programming. All I want is put extra Gb on my Windows C: drive without losing any data, programs etc. if I for example buy new HD of 1 or 2 TB can I just copy existing one to it or there's need of formatting etc.
It's annoying that can't update Windows 10 because of not enough space when on drive D: sitting waste of almost 1 TB.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Thanks buddy will try with your suggestions.

Will follow your instructions. I am graphic designer and not much know about programming. All I want is put extra Gb on my Windows C: drive without losing any data, programs etc. if I for example buy new HD of 1 or 2 TB can I just copy existing one to it or there's need of formatting etc.
It's annoying that can't update Windows 10 because of not enough space when on drive D: sitting waste of almost 1 TB.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------
Hi Smart_Guy

Here's snapshot of Disk Management. Have a look please and let me know what is situation.

Thanks for you time.

Attachments

• Disk Management.jpg
    Disk Management.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 7
I see... sorry to say that you cannot extend the size of your "C:" driver. It's already a single storage unit.

Best course of action is to replace it with a bigger one. It should be easy with EaseUS if you have an external storage connection to clone your current "C:" driver to a new unit and then install it in place of the current unit. It only has to be bigger (which goes without saying in this condition) to accept the old content since images (cloning) require that. No Windows re-installation is needed. Make sure the new unit is of the same physical size and connectivity as the current "C:" drive you wanna replace. Most likely it is a 3.5" HDD (but gotta make sure first) which can be replaced with a 3.5" SSD which is much faster, if you can afford the price difference.

Last edited:
I see... sorry to say that you cannot extend the size of your "C:" driver. It's already a single storage unit.

Best course of action is to replace it with a bigger one. It should be easy with EaseUS if you have an external storage connection to clone your current "C:" driver to a new unit and then install it in place of the current unit. It only has to be bigger (which goes without saying in this condition) to accept the old content since images (cloning) require that. No Windows re-installation is needed. Make sure the new unit is of the same physical size and connectivity as the current "C:" drive you wanna replace. Most likely it is a 3.5" HDD (but gotta make sure first) which can be replaced with a 3.5" SSD which is much faster, if you can afford the price difference.
What about my (D) drive which I already shredded for 0.5 GB? Can I use it as external drive you mentioned?
How can I check what type is my current (C) drive? I am not very familiar with all that terms but can follow instructions.
Thanks for your passion

Back
Top Bottom