driver irql not less or equal

bbalcrazy92

Beta member
hey guys i've been getting this error for over a year now and have no idea how to fix this. i've changed ram, hdd, went from windows vista to windows 7, and changed drivers. i still have no idea what this problem could be!

it started when playing either music, videos, or videogames. the computer would end up freezing and the sound would repeat.. sometimes it unfreezes.. most of the time it didnt. i would end up getting the blue screen stating "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal".. but sometimes i wouldnt even get that error message and my computer would stay frozen. that lead me to the only option of force shutting down my system by holding the power button... then it became worse

not only do i still have the above issues, but now when i want to shut down or restart my computer, that wont even work at times. I would choose to shut down the computer.. everything would be normal, i get to the windows shutting down screen.. everything goes black, my keyboard turns off.. but my computer is still running. it will do this until i force shut it off again, sometimes it even goes back to the login like i chose to restart it.

i have no idea what i can do to fix this problem, if anyone has advice or ideas i would appreciate it greatly

Last edited by a moderator:
The blue screen is almost always indicative of a hardware issue.

I would run a full hardware test. My money is on the memory.

for some reason when i run a full system test with hardware diagnostic tools it never seems to work, so i have to do each one individually.. first test i did was video card and it did not pass. it failed the video memory test as well as snooped blit and non snooped blit tests. i havent tested other hardware yet but i am pretty sure it might be this video card

dont have any other video card to use.. i did however run another test with the video card and the memory test did pass however the snooped and nonsnooped blit had an unknown error, but i highly doubt that would be the cause of the driver irql and the freezing. tested ram with memtest and hardware diagnostic tools and it passed. i'm not really sure what else i could do. i did replace the power supply around that time but i doubt it could be that

Pick up a new video card. If that doesn't solve it, you could always return it or keep the upgrade.

No part of the video memory should ever fail any test. A faulty video card would absolutely cause a blue screen.

Back
Top Bottom