The dreaded BSOD

TylerCWells

Beta member
So there I was just minding my own business one day when all of the sudden BAM!!! My computer crashes... the BSOD appeared and immediatley my heart sank... I had just restored my laptop about 3 months ago and its been working great. I've had this laptop for three years now and it has been great! NO problems. But now it keeps giving me the BSOD. I thought it could have been a virus since I had been lazy not to install it back on after the restore. So I went into safe mode with enabled networking (backed up all my personal files that I cared about)and downloaded Norton since it came free with my cable provider...well it wouldn't download. Crashed and has been everytime. I tried a couple of different virus software that was free but would never download. Finally last night I thought of a different approach. I went into the debugging mode(I think thats what its called) and that was the first time in 4 days I was able to get to my desktop... I downloaded ESET virus security and let it do a run today on my system and went to church and came back...ZERO threats found. I restarted my computer and it LOADED up without a BSOD... I was THRILLED! Couldn't decide what possibly could of happened... So I decided since ESET was only a trial I'd download NORTON again... I got it all but installed and it was hesistant to install, i thought maybe ESET was being the problem, so I unistalled the trial and tried but to no luck...so THEN I thought I'd restart and see if it just needed to do that...and i got the BSOD again and AGAIN and AGAIN...i finally let my computer just do a startup repair and BSOD...then again repair(which said it failed) and i told it to boot anyways and its let me in my computer now working FINE! so I thought I'd take this chance to get some of your opinions on what could be going on?

Sorry that was really LONG..

I have a HP Pavillion dv6-2066dx
6 gb of RAM
64 bit operating system
AMD turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500

I thought about that...but my serial number thats on the bottom of my laptop...is completely faded...is there another way to find the serial number?

ALSO where can I go to make sure I have all the drivers?

Well, I see that's a great problem you have there.

To get the serial of your Windows copy just download Everest Home (it's free) and install and run it in debug mode if it lets you boot the system.

About the reason of the BSOD, I have to say that I'm fine with Windows 7, the only BSOD I had (around 2011 - 2012) on my laptop was related to hardware issues, the motherboard was knocked, so after recovering your Windows license you should check if the problem is the laptop itself.

Same as setishock magic jelly bean

Download

before all is lock back up everything, then complete a fsc /scannow test in command prompt it will give you a report and see if there is a faulty driver causing the problem.

also use

BluescreenView to give you a report to what drivers are at fault and possible reasions why

Download blue SCreen View

Download

Kind Regards

Back up all of your important data first. Using the manufacturer's utility, check the hard drive utility. If I'm not mistaken, HP liked to use either WD or Fujitsu drives. You want to get a reading of the S.M.A.R.T. values. If the drive fails any of the S.M.A.R.T. tests, you want to look into replacing the drive.

Test the memory using Memtest86. IF there are any failures, test one module at a time until you find the culprit. My money is on bad RAM.

A BSOD is almost always a hardware issue. Until you can eliminate faulty hardware, I wouldn't bother with reinstalling the OS.

Back
Top Bottom