Download Windows 10 Updates A second Disk Drive

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I got a neat little Quad Core Windows 10 tablet on Black Friday for less than $50 USD just to play around with (I know right? Prices have dropped) and it came with 16GB storage internal.

Obviously being full Windows 10 it was mostly filled (less than 6GB free) from the factory with a stock Windows 10 installation (no bloatware or extras where installed). When I tried to do an update it said it was too full and needed more space.

I added and extra 64GB High speed memory card to the unit to add more HD space.

My question is, how can I update this computer? It has enough space, but the main Windows partition is to the 16GB internal storage so it wont default download updates to the 64GB Micro SD.

Thanks for your help!!

Not entirely sure what you mean by updating it but if it was mine I would reinstall it with a clean install of Windows 10 that will get rid of the bloatware. You can download Windows 10 from here:-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

This will make you a bootable usb flash drive that will install Win 10. Your product number will be stored in the UEFI bios but you will need to take off secure boot in the bios. That is the way I would try it but to be honest I haven't done this on a computer that has the operating system on "internal storage" other than a hard disk drive. Having said that there must be a way to install the operating system if the OS on the machine goes bad for instance.

Ah right just reread your OP. Forget all that LOL sorry.

Move the OS to the larger location. Replace the old internal storage with a larger one.
Move the OS back to the internal now that it's bigger.

Funny I have done it on several tabs iv owned. It's a simple matter to use a desolder braid or bulb to remove a soldered component.

Funny I have done it on several tabs iv owned. It's a simple matter to use a desolder braid or bulb to remove a soldered component.
I didn't say it was impossible, I said it wasn't practical. Maybe you have the soldering skills to desolder/solder surface mount components to a motherboard but many people do not. Do you think the average person reading these boards has the necessary skills?

Yes, I taught my 12 year old daughter to do simple de-solder and re-solder RR jobs.

I am not saying use your $3,000.00 computer to learn on, but after you get the hang of it, it isn't difficult to do.

Of course a $50 tablet might be a good place to learn on since the cost is minimal. :)

Your 12-year old daughter can desolder/solder surface mount devices? If so, I'm impressed. I've been soldering for almost 50 years but it's difficult for me to see the small parts to solder plus my hands are a bit shaky. Do you use solder paste and hot air machine or some type of pen and regular solder?

You're right about learning on a $50 tablet vs a more expensive computer but I still think it's something beyond the capability of the average person on this forum let alone the average computer user. Most would have trouble even getting the tablet open without damaging it and then would have trouble locating which part they needed to replace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom