Downgrade from Windows 10 to 8

Jahzara

Baseband Member
I'm pretty tired of Windows 10. I keep getting critical errors and have to restart my computer several times to get it to work properly. I want to revert back to Windows 8, which originally came with my computer, but it's been after the 30 days. I do not have a disc copy of Windows 8 as the computer didn't come with one and does not even have a dvd drive. Is there anyway this can be done?

This is what you'd be after. Ignore the Windows 7 part, It only says that as that's what I upgraded from and its only just been upgraded.

Also how long ago did you do the upgrade? Also take a look at this http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/
4kZCfjB.png

Last edited:
Thanks, that link was helpful! I didn't know Microsoft gave downloadable copies of old operating systems! I'll try this.

I'm pretty tired of Windows 10. I keep getting critical errors and have to restart my computer several times to get it to work properly. I want to revert back to Windows 8, which originally came with my computer, but it's been after the 30 days. I do not have a disc copy of Windows 8 as the computer didn't come with one and does not even have a dvd drive. Is there anyway this can be done?

Upgrades to Win 10 from previous OPs should be messy depending on the Hardware,100% sure thing clean Install.

I have a clean install of Win 10 and it rocks solid.

Upgrades to Win 10 from previous OPs should be messy depending on the Hardware,100% sure thing clean Install.

I have a clean install of Win 10 and it rocks solid.

Yes and no. Before the first major update called the "November Update" you had to upgrade first so that your activation info for your computer got to sent to the MS Activation Servers and stored then you could perform a clean install. Now thanks to the "November Update" activation's after a clean installation have been made easier even when you haven't upgraded to Windows 10. Now you can use your existing Windows 7, 8/8.1 key and it should activate no problems.

Also this link here will provide a direct download to the November Update/1511 ISO Tech Bench

What's New in Windows 10's First Big Update (Which Arrives Today)
Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

OP - what kind of Critical errors do you have?

I had problems at the start of using Win10, but it came down to a defunct line of SATA controller drivers and I just had to install a different version of the driver from a different release to sort it out.

There are few problems that can't be sorted with a little tinkering.

If you're having problems in Win10, those problems will either be software or drivers; which we can help you sort out - or hardware, in which case it will follow you back onto Win8.1 anyway.

So, hit a couple issues trying to revert back to Win 8. I tried to put Win 8 install on a 30GB USB drive and it got all the way to the end and said there wasn't enough space. There was nothing else on the disk, and it was formatted to NTSF...

Also, I looked in my computer's original box and cannot find an activation key.... =/ I assume this is going to be an issue when attempting to do a clean install? (If I can get the USB to work, that is.)

Darkseeker - The errors don't say anything specific, but it'll happen when I first log on after a fresh startup. I'll sign in and an error that says something along the lines of "Cortana experienced a critical error. We will try to fix this the next time you sign in." And then it'll sign me out, I'll sign back in and it usually gives me the same message again. I usually have to restart at that point.
I'll also basically have windows explorer stop working after the computer has been on and started up fine. This usually happens after I've woken it from sleep mode, I don't think it just randomly happens while using it. Can't select anything from the task bar, start button on keyboard doesn't work. At the same time, the brightness setting gets stuck between two settings and I can't go higher or lower than the two.
The touchscreen has also not worked since installing Win 10. I've tried updating the driver and it's up to date.... And I don't think it's the hardware that's the issue... Also, I just upgraded to Win 10 Pro yesterday and had to downgrade cause the speakers didn't work. They're working again.

Last edited:
No, What Microsoft with activation for Windows 8 upwards is they decided to do away with COA stickers and instead embed the keys in the bios. When you reinstall Windows 8 it should figure that there is Windows 8 OEM licence key and activate.

So, hit a couple issues trying to revert back to Win 8. I tried to put Win 8 install on a 30GB USB drive and it got all the way to the end and said there wasn't enough space. There was nothing else on the disk, and it was formatted to NTSF...

Also, I looked in my computer's original box and cannot find an activation key.... =/ I assume this is going to be an issue when attempting to do a clean install? (If I can get the USB to work, that is.)

Darkseeker - The errors don't say anything specific, but it'll happen when I first log on after a fresh startup. I'll sign in and an error that says something along the lines of "Cortana experienced a critical error. We will try to fix this the next time you sign in." And then it'll sign me out, I'll sign back in and it usually gives me the same message again. I usually have to restart at that point.
I'll also basically have windows explorer stop working after the computer has been on and started up fine. This usually happens after I've woken it from sleep mode, I don't think it just randomly happens while using it. Can't select anything from the task bar, start button on keyboard doesn't work. At the same time, the brightness setting gets stuck between two settings and I can't go higher or lower than the two.
The touchscreen has also not worked since installing Win 10. I've tried updating the driver and it's up to date.... And I don't think it's the hardware that's the issue... Also, I just upgraded to Win 10 Pro yesterday and had to downgrade cause the speakers didn't work. They're working again.

I have Windows 8 and Windows 10 separately on two 7Gb sticks. I think Win 10 says you will need 4.9Gb so if a 30Gb stick says that you do not have enough space then there is something decidely wrong somewhere. Also when I have installed Win 10 during the installation it, occasionally, has asked me to input the product number. If your computer has UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) which, very basically, is the new kind of "BIOS" then the product number will be embedded there and you shouldn't need to put the product number in. I still like to have the product number to hand though, just in case, and I use Belarc Advisor, which is a free program, to get that number.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer. Software license management, IT asset management, cyber security audits, and more.

Back
Top Bottom