Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Beta Member

Angry Disk read error

I have a disk read error when I turn on my comp and Windows XP won't load. It tells me to press ctl alt del and when I do that it takes me back to disk read error. I got back into windows by setting up an old HD that I had Win 2000 pro on and I loaded win xp pro onto my new hard drive. I installed the new hd as a slave, but when I took the old hd off with win 2000 and tried to master the new hard drive as the only hd it tells me disk read error again. I can't get the hd it to work by itself without the hd with win 2000. Any help please.

foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
The Candyman

Default Re: Disk read error

I would make shure that In bios it recognizes the hhd with the new OS on it. also make shure that the boot order is Cd rom/ floppy/ hhd.

it's good to double check your connections on the I.D.E cable of the hhd's or hhd. and if your running two hhd's on the same cable, one must be master & the other slave.

just one more thing, in bios make shure that the hhd with the new OS on it , that the Partition is set to active.

Can you boot up to safe mode with it ?

Old 03-18-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Beta Member

I finally got it to work, this is what I done, I did everything that you suggested, plus I had to FDISK. Once I FDISK and reloaded OS it worked. Now I have another problem, after getting the master disk set up, I wanted to set up the 80gb HD, I also was having the same problem with it, so I disconnected the master HD and FDISK the 80 Gig which is the slave. After I FDISK, I loaded OS, in which I didn't want AN oS on the 80Gig drive, but I did not know how to format it after FDISK, so I used the WinXP Prof to format and it loaded the OS. Once I completed that I master the other HD and made the 80 gig slave. When I rebooted system told me boot disk failure. I looked into the BIOS and system is not seeing master Hd, but it will still see the slave if I disconnect it from master and boot to it by itself. Also I have been trying to find out how to get into qucikboot on emachine. This problem started with RAM, I read in another forum that you need to go into quickboot in BIOS.
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:07 AM   #4
The Candyman

Default Re: Disk read error

Sorry for the late responce, glad to see you worked it out.