Disk Boot Failure Please Help

jruh1e

Beta member
hey guys i'm having a problem right now thats really starting to get aggravating... hopefully someone can help me out

about a week and a half ago I restarted my computer(I usually leave it on non-stop) because I was installing something that required a restart. When I booted it up I received the DISK BOOT FAILURE, Please insert system disk and press enter. I received this error about a week before that, probably the last time I turned my computer on, however after one more restart it started up fine.

I read through a bunch of forums and pretty much got the general assumption that my HD was dead, which doesnt surprise me its VERY old. So i just bought a new HD and was hoping that this would work, however I am getting the same problem.

Now here is what I am guessing it could be, my friend installed a pirated version of windows XP on a burned disc onto my computer, and right before I restarted the computer for the last time I was getting errors saying something along the lines of "windows xp has files missing" or something like that. I didnt pay much attention to it because I have gotten those before and not had to worry.

Could it be the faulty version of windows screwing it all up? In the BIOS it recognizes both my new HD and my old one, which makes me think its not the HD at all. When trying to boot from the CD-rom first(using the pirated windows XP disc) I am getting the same error. What could possibly be the problem?

it could be the faulty version of windows.
or it could be that a part of the disk has been overwritten.

the disk boot failure means that the the computer can't find a bootable os on the disk you've got.

use the windows XP CD. go through to the text base recovery and type

fix mbr

after that type

fix boot

that should re-write the master boot record on the hard drive, and fix the boot files in the windows installation.

Back
Top Bottom