Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 286
Default Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

I attempted my first image of sys. Unsuccessfully.it was a slow process about 15 minutesHere’s the error.

I've never had problems w/ C drive or the portable HDD as storage.
should I just reattempt?

Thanks for advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg failed backup image.jpg (75.7 KB, 9 views)
__________________

__________________
MoboIntel H57 CPU I3 550 3.2GHzRAM 6GB DDR3 1TB,2TB HDD,1TB ext HDD, PSU 300W1 PCI TV Tuner, 1 USB TVTuner,wireless USB adapter,Win7/64
stevethebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
TrotterTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,071
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

I use Acronis for my backups. We use it with my job and I liked it enough to buy my own.

There is a trial version that's good for 30 days.
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/
__________________

__________________
Cooler Master Mastercase H500 / Antec EA650 650W / Zotac GTX 1660 AMP
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 w/ Wraith MAX RGB / MSI B350 Gaming Plus / 4x8GB XPG Specrix RGB 3200MHz
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 / Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD / WD Black 750GB / WD Blue 2TB
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 286
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

I think I just figured it out you don't simply create image of sys. no no
you back up or restore your files

which is basically creating a sys. image of C

to bad the terminology is backasswards anyway I have the sys. kindof running good and never want to go though the same crap of last 2 weeks.

so am I understanding this correctly?

what is a sys. repair disc.? another sys. backup/image or whatever.

sorry I've never created any of these backups uselly just reinstall the OS then add some programs.
my sys. is relatively simple however I found the hard way about the missing windows updates that need to be part of the sys. image.
next error windows backup did not complete successfully.

I did the scan on the C drive and the destination portable HDD
both are fine w/ scan disc.
Thanks for link for acronis
__________________
MoboIntel H57 CPU I3 550 3.2GHzRAM 6GB DDR3 1TB,2TB HDD,1TB ext HDD, PSU 300W1 PCI TV Tuner, 1 USB TVTuner,wireless USB adapter,Win7/64
stevethebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:49 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 4,120
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

That message implies an I/O problem; i.e. input and output. If it's a spot-on honest message, one of the drives could have problems. Run a quick disk check on the source disk and do a full format on the target disk. This is to minimize possible problems. Hopefully the target disk does not have other files in it.

It's also better to disconnect all other storage devices and only keep the system drive and the target drive for backup. Sometimes Windows backup refuses to exclude other drives causing a huge backup package.

I recommend having an external drive exclusively for system backup if it's critical to have the system never lost. An internal drive used thru a docking or an external drive set, both work fine but for different preferences. I do that.

Windows backup makes so many files in a folder if you chose to also backup an image of the system calling that folder an image along with it. Not choosing to make an image in the process will only result in having a backup package for other files.

A repair disk is a disk to use if Windows cannot be accessed to start the utility to make the restore process. You use that repair disk to boot the computer and then select the system image thru it. It's like a minimized Windows setup application. You could even format your computer and use that image to restore it. Just make sure the image was done properly. And for your information, if you have a Windows installation disk (has to be the same Windows your using), you can use it as a repair disk. A repair disk has other tools too, not just the tool to make the restore.

The format of Windows backup is like two elements if my memory serves me right; one folder and one file. The files is an executable, but I always use the image restore utility and never tried using that executable directly.

Good luck!
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,498
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

There is a significant difference between simply copying your files and creating a system image.

The major difference is that after restoring a system image, the restored image can then be booted and will run just as it did when the image was created along with all installed programs and accompanying data.

The simple file copy method will only allow you to save your data. The OS and all programs will need to be re-installed and activated meaning you will need any license keys for those programs that need them.
__________________
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 286
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
That message implies an I/O problem; i.e. input and output. If it's a spot-on honest message, one of the drives could have problems. Run a quick disk check on the source disk and do a full format on the target disk. This is to minimize possible problems. Hopefully the target disk does not have other files in it.

It's also better to disconnect all other storage devices and only keep the system drive and the target drive for backup. Sometimes Windows backup refuses to exclude other drives causing a huge backup package.

I recommend having an external drive exclusively for system backup if it's critical to have the system never lost. An internal drive used thru a docking or an external drive set, both work fine but for different preferences. I do that.

Windows backup makes so many files in a folder if you chose to also backup an image of the system calling that folder an image along with it. Not choosing to make an image in the process will only result in having a backup package for other files.

A repair disk is a disk to use if Windows cannot be accessed to start the utility to make the restore process. You use that repair disk to boot the computer and then select the system image thru it. It's like a minimized Windows setup application. You could even format your computer and use that image to restore it. Just make sure the image was done properly. And for your information, if you have a Windows installation disk (has to be the same Windows your using), you can use it as a repair disk. A repair disk has other tools too, not just the tool to make the restore.

The format of Windows backup is like two elements if my memory serves me right; one folder and one file. The files is an executable, but I always use the image restore utility and never tried using that executable directly.

Good luck!
OK now I know what I'm doing wrong I have all the storage drives connected, will disconnect also I have a bunch of other files on the destination drive.

I'll get a flash drive as a new destination drive and retry I think it's over 40GB

BTW somebody from saudi arabia has contacted me about buying some rare auto parts
curious about the shipping to you'r country?
and thanks I'll report back w/ results of image.
__________________
MoboIntel H57 CPU I3 550 3.2GHzRAM 6GB DDR3 1TB,2TB HDD,1TB ext HDD, PSU 300W1 PCI TV Tuner, 1 USB TVTuner,wireless USB adapter,Win7/64
stevethebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 4,120
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
OK now I know what I'm doing wrong I have all the storage drives connected, will disconnect also I have a bunch of other files on the destination drive.

I'll get a flash drive as a new destination drive and retry I think it's over 40GB

BTW somebody from saudi arabia has contacted me about buying some rare auto parts
curious about the shipping to you'r country?
and thanks I'll report back w/ results of image.

Those are only possible hindrances to this process, not necessarily are. At some point Windows did not mind any of those extra storage devices and gave a choice to exclude them but now my Windows always includes one of them that I cannot exclude so I need to disconnect it. The data SATA cable is enough to disconnect with minimal effort. If there's a way to disable them thru BIOS, that would work too as long as they don't show in Windows, the trick works.


And thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind. My W124 could need some parts too.
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 286
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

planning the restore image.
the C drive property is 39.1GB used space so I assume I can create image w/ a 64GB flash drive?
__________________
MoboIntel H57 CPU I3 550 3.2GHzRAM 6GB DDR3 1TB,2TB HDD,1TB ext HDD, PSU 300W1 PCI TV Tuner, 1 USB TVTuner,wireless USB adapter,Win7/64
stevethebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 4,120
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

If it's Windows backup, then yes.


Some other methods take an image of the whole drive instead of the occupied space only.
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,648
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
There is a significant difference between simply copying your files and creating a system image.

The major difference is that after restoring a system image, the restored image can then be booted and will run just as it did when the image was created along with all installed programs and accompanying data.

The simple file copy method will only allow you to save your data. The OS and all programs will need to be re-installed and activated meaning you will need any license keys for those programs that need them.
True. An image will copy entire partitions and partition layouts. By only copying files in C: you'll loose the partition that holds the bootloader and as a result you won't be able to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
planning the restore image.
the C drive property is 39.1GB used space so I assume I can create image w/ a 64GB flash drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
If it's Windows backup, then yes.


Some other methods take an image of the whole drive instead of the occupied space only.
To solve this you could shrink the partition to be 64GB (minus the ~500MB System partition if you are using BIOS) or less and it shouldn't be an issue.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:15 AM   #11
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: usa
Posts: 286
Default Re: Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

my plan is to create recovery disc on a DVD.then create image to the flash drive.and save in safe place for just in case.
__________________

__________________
MoboIntel H57 CPU I3 550 3.2GHzRAM 6GB DDR3 1TB,2TB HDD,1TB ext HDD, PSU 300W1 PCI TV Tuner, 1 USB TVTuner,wireless USB adapter,Win7/64
stevethebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×