Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Difficulty w/ creating image of sys.

I attempted my first image of sys. Unsuccessfully.it was a slow process about 15 minutesHere's the error.

I've never had problems w/ C drive or the portable HDD as storage.
should I just reattempt?

Thanks for advice

Attachments

• failed backup image.jpg
    failed backup image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I think I just figured it out you don't simply create image of sys. no no
you back up or restore your files

which is basically creating a sys. image of C

to bad the terminology is backasswards anyway I have the sys. kindof running good and never want to go though the same crap of last 2 weeks.

so am I understanding this correctly?

what is a sys. repair disc.? another sys. backup/image or whatever.

sorry I've never created any of these backups uselly just reinstall the OS then add some programs.
my sys. is relatively simple however I found the hard way about the missing windows updates that need to be part of the sys. image.
next error windows backup did not complete successfully.

I did the scan on the C drive and the destination portable HDD
both are fine w/ scan disc.
Thanks for link for acronis

Last edited:
That message implies an I/O problem; i.e. input and output. If it's a spot-on honest message, one of the drives could have problems. Run a quick disk check on the source disk and do a full format on the target disk. This is to minimize possible problems. Hopefully the target disk does not have other files in it.

It's also better to disconnect all other storage devices and only keep the system drive and the target drive for backup. Sometimes Windows backup refuses to exclude other drives causing a huge backup package.

I recommend having an external drive exclusively for system backup if it's critical to have the system never lost. An internal drive used thru a docking or an external drive set, both work fine but for different preferences. I do that.

Windows backup makes so many files in a folder if you chose to also backup an image of the system calling that folder an image along with it. Not choosing to make an image in the process will only result in having a backup package for other files.

A repair disk is a disk to use if Windows cannot be accessed to start the utility to make the restore process. You use that repair disk to boot the computer and then select the system image thru it. It's like a minimized Windows setup application. You could even format your computer and use that image to restore it. Just make sure the image was done properly. And for your information, if you have a Windows installation disk (has to be the same Windows your using), you can use it as a repair disk. A repair disk has other tools too, not just the tool to make the restore.

The format of Windows backup is like two elements if my memory serves me right; one folder and one file. The files is an executable, but I always use the image restore utility and never tried using that executable directly.

Good luck!

There is a significant difference between simply copying your files and creating a system image.

The major difference is that after restoring a system image, the restored image can then be booted and will run just as it did when the image was created along with all installed programs and accompanying data.

The simple file copy method will only allow you to save your data. The OS and all programs will need to be re-installed and activated meaning you will need any license keys for those programs that need them.

That message implies an I/O problem; i.e. input and output. If it's a spot-on honest message, one of the drives could have problems. Run a quick disk check on the source disk and do a full format on the target disk. This is to minimize possible problems. Hopefully the target disk does not have other files in it.

It's also better to disconnect all other storage devices and only keep the system drive and the target drive for backup. Sometimes Windows backup refuses to exclude other drives causing a huge backup package.

I recommend having an external drive exclusively for system backup if it's critical to have the system never lost. An internal drive used thru a docking or an external drive set, both work fine but for different preferences. I do that.

Windows backup makes so many files in a folder if you chose to also backup an image of the system calling that folder an image along with it. Not choosing to make an image in the process will only result in having a backup package for other files.

A repair disk is a disk to use if Windows cannot be accessed to start the utility to make the restore process. You use that repair disk to boot the computer and then select the system image thru it. It's like a minimized Windows setup application. You could even format your computer and use that image to restore it. Just make sure the image was done properly. And for your information, if you have a Windows installation disk (has to be the same Windows your using), you can use it as a repair disk. A repair disk has other tools too, not just the tool to make the restore.

The format of Windows backup is like two elements if my memory serves me right; one folder and one file. The files is an executable, but I always use the image restore utility and never tried using that executable directly.

Good luck!
OK now I know what I'm doing wrong I have all the storage drives connected, will disconnect also I have a bunch of other files on the destination drive.

I'll get a flash drive as a new destination drive and retry I think it's over 40GB

BTW somebody from saudi arabia has contacted me about buying some rare auto parts
curious about the shipping to you'r country?
and thanks I'll report back w/ results of image.

OK now I know what I'm doing wrong I have all the storage drives connected, will disconnect also I have a bunch of other files on the destination drive.

I'll get a flash drive as a new destination drive and retry I think it's over 40GB

BTW somebody from saudi arabia has contacted me about buying some rare auto parts
curious about the shipping to you'r country?
and thanks I'll report back w/ results of image.

Those are only possible hindrances to this process, not necessarily are. At some point Windows did not mind any of those extra storage devices and gave a choice to exclude them but now my Windows always includes one of them that I cannot exclude so I need to disconnect it. The data SATA cable is enough to disconnect with minimal effort. If there's a way to disable them thru BIOS, that would work too as long as they don't show in Windows, the trick works.

And thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind. My W124 could need some parts too.

planning the restore image.
the C drive property is 39.1GB used space so I assume I can create image w/ a 64GB flash drive?

If it's Windows backup, then yes.

Some other methods take an image of the whole drive instead of the occupied space only.

There is a significant difference between simply copying your files and creating a system image.

The major difference is that after restoring a system image, the restored image can then be booted and will run just as it did when the image was created along with all installed programs and accompanying data.

The simple file copy method will only allow you to save your data. The OS and all programs will need to be re-installed and activated meaning you will need any license keys for those programs that need them.

True. An image will copy entire partitions and partition layouts. By only copying files in C: you'll loose the partition that holds the bootloader and as a result you won't be able to boot.

planning the restore image.
the C drive property is 39.1GB used space so I assume I can create image w/ a 64GB flash drive?

If it's Windows backup, then yes.

Some other methods take an image of the whole drive instead of the occupied space only.

To solve this you could shrink the partition to be 64GB (minus the ~500MB System partition if you are using BIOS) or less and it shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom