Desktop freezes after 10 min of boot up

movida88

Solid State Member
My computer has recently started freezing 10 min after boot up. I had an incident the other day where i was testing a different mobo in my tower but when i was putting back the wires for the front USB port i accidently put them on back to front resulting in them melting their plastic coating and ever so slightly burnt the sata cable. Ive disconnected these wires and it was working fine for a few days, ive checked the HDD for errors and its fine, used system restore and still same problem. Could a slightyly damaged sata cable cause the system to freeze up? It even freezes in safe mode?

Yes it could. A damaged sata cable could be the culprit here. It won't hurt, as a first step, to try a new one and see what happens.

Yes i installed windows vista and used driver genius to update all drivers, done that 3 weeks ago and burnt the cables a week ago, no where in my farmer town sells computer parts so i'll have to wait to test the cable :(

If it is the sata cable would my HDD drive show up any errors? I've ran an error check and it says everthing is fine, would this not mean the cable can fully send and recieve data?

If it is the sata cable would my HDD drive show up any errors? I've ran an error check and it says everthing is fine, would this not mean the cable can fully send and recieve data?

Technically yes, but as you stated earlier, the SATA cable is burnt. I would try another SATA cable and see how it goes, damaged SATA cables can impact the performance since communication of the motherboard and hard drive have been disorientated, kinda like cell phone reception.

Its better to test the small ones first before investing more money on parts.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom