damage after virus cleanup

gib88

Baseband Member
Hello,

I just exorcised a virus from my computer but I think it's left some damage behind.

Here are a couple of the symptoms:

1) A lot of my applications won't open. For example, Microsoft Edge, Reader, Calculator, and many others. What I get when I try to open these is the message in the attachment.

2) A lot of applications flicker. That's the application itself (on the screen) and its icon in the taskbar. In the task bar, it looks like it's closing and then opening again.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? I'm running Windows 10.

Attachments

• this app can't open.png
    this app can't open.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 4
Oh, I forgot to add one more symptom:

3) Some of the icons in the bottom right corner (see attachment) aren't always there. For example, if I have a USB stick plugged in, it will *sometimes* show the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon, but sometimes not (yes, even with the USB stick still plugged in). Or the volume control. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. Before, these icons (and others) would be more consistent--always there, or there at the appropriate times.

Attachments

• icons.png
    icons.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 24
Hellooo! Uninstall and re-install applications that aren't built in to your computer ex calculator, which if all else fails theres google lol

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Hellooo! Uninstall and re-install applications that aren't built in to your computer ex calculator, which if all else fails theres google lol
Sorry if this did not help, Im not what you call experienced with computers :p

For starters I hope that you are not signed in with the built in Administrator account ( as shown in the error) If so, create a different user account and use that to log in.

Try reinstalling the default modern apps by running this command from a Powershell prompt:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Be sure to right-click powershell and "Run as Administrator."

A tool that I've found helpful for resoving system issues after viruses is the tweaking tool from tweaking.com. It's basically just a big bundle of registry fixes. One of them is "Remove policies set by infections." I'd recommend running the tool and selecting that option.

Hello,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been working on a practicum for a possible job so I've been busy.

Unfortunately, I tried all the options above and it they did not help. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom