CPU Always at 100%

UNCLEMIKE1

Baseband Member
Every time my computer stalls on me I open the task manager and it shows the cpu running at 100%. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Windows also gives ma an error for "not enough virtual memory" and then says its going to adjust the paging files or something but i still have the problem all the time. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

What are your specs? You might need to upgrade your system. Maybe a faster processor and more Ram.

Look in the process tab and look at the CPU column. If it's hanging at around 100%, it will show a 99 under CPU somewhere. Check to see what the "Image Name" is. THat is the culprit of the high CPU process. On mine, it usually is the iexplore.exe. I hate it but sometime IE does hang on me.

Processor = 2.8ghz celeron
RAM = 512mb
Hard Drive = 80gb
OS = Win XP
Video Card = 128 ATI Radeon

I don't have a "process Tab" on my task manager for some reason if that is what you were referring to. Thanks

1st boot up to safe mode. Once there, start/ run/ type msconfig....check the startup tab.

This will be a list of everything that starts up at boot up; if you see an .exe file in there that's giving you problems or just being annoying, just untick the box.

Now go to control panel/internet options/delete cookies, click delete button & delete ALL cookies.

Now click settings. See the box that has MB next to it; set it to 60MB. By default windows sets this to 650MB; no body needs that much space for cookies unless they're downloading movies.

Now click on the advanced tab, scroll down the list till you get to ‘empty temporary internet files at close' and put a check in the box.

Now, it's time to check what's in the ‘run' and ‘run once' folders in the registry.

Start/ run/ type reg edit now, go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRE NT VERSION\RUN

This will be the run folder. Now check for anything that shouldn't be in there, or an .exe file that is giving you problems and delete the string.
!

[font=&quot]This is ok to do, because what you are doing is deleting
the short cut that was placed in the startup folder
during the installation.

Now that that's done, there should be a folder right under that called the ‘run once' folder.

Now whatever is in that folder, delete it. You don't need anything in there. Now you're done.

Now go to the windows folder on the HD (hard drive) & delete all that is in the ‘prefetch' folder.

Once that's done, go to start/ all programs/ accessories/ system tools/ disk defragmenter.
!

after youve defraged, go to scan disk which is where you found the defrag; click both boxes, click OK and restart to start the scandisk process...good luck
[/font]

sorry forgot to also say...

follow these guidelines that can help you clean up your computer and clean up lots of areas that are either ignored or unknown. Your freezing episodes can easily be a result of these areas. Ive had it before and friends of mine too when i helped them out.

Back
Top Bottom