Could i make my own.....

Hi guys I was wondering if its possible to make an operating system ?? And how hard is it

Actually it's pretty easy. Find some one with the skills of Bill Gates, and Steve Wozniak.

Next, borrow, or allocate, about $500,000 of your own money for development and sales.

Finally, travel around the world promoting your new OS, to insure that everyone stops using Windows. That's about it.

Unless of course you just want to develop and operating system for your own personal use. In that case, all you need are the skills of Bill Gates.

Actually it's pretty easy. Find some one with the skills of Bill Gates, and Steve Wozniak.

Next, borrow, or allocate, about $500,000 of your own money for development and sales.

Finally, travel around the world promoting your new OS, to insure that everyone stops using Windows. That's about it.

Unless of course you just want to develop and operating system for your own personal use. In that case, all you need are the skills of Bill Gates.
:rofl: Ignore that old fart Hameister; the guy is getting senile :lol:

Writing an OS won't be easy, but can be done. Hell, even I wrote some parts of a couple. First thing to figure out is which processor family you wish to use, e.g. Intel x86/x64, Spark/Linux, etc. An operating system must comply with processor and companion chipset architecture. Google around and you'll find the basics of how OSes that comply with those architectures are organized. Writing the OS itself is fairly complicated, but consider all the I/O/chipset interfaces you'll need to write as well. I'd recommend writing the OS in C, thus you'll need a C compiler and SDK. You'll also need a Virtual Machine (VM), a good free one is VirtualBox from Oracle.
I Googled this for you to get you started: https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugex...e79c6c9080287&bpcl=35466521&biw=1524&bih=1005
If you've questions, just ask.

In that case, all you need are the skills of Bill Gates.

The only skills Bill Gates had at the time was to buy the OS from some one else and marketed it properly, he & his partner just got lucky.

To the OP if you have talent & know how go for it.... my understanding is you will need programming skills.

Thanks I will have a go at making one thanks guys

To say, (as MMM did), that you need "programming skills", is an understatement for sure.

But hey, who knows, maybe you're one of those folks that has the talent, so go for it, and good luck!

My take on it is that, if you need to ask the questions of "Can I?" and "How do I?", you lack the skills to do it. You certainly could gain the skills but it will be a long road. You'll need good programming skills as well as knowledge of the hardware, the BIOS, disk architecture and OS architecture. Lots to become proficient with.

Let's see now. If memory serves, doesn't vista have over 1 million lines of code?
Yeah I can fly...

Won't you guys feel stupid if rowcon123, turns out to be a 12 year old genius who actually develops the next greatest OS, ha!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom