copying data

pcole

Solid State Member
I have been having trouble with one of my hard drives in that it keeps jamming up, it appears to be a mechanical fault. Is it possible to plug this into another computer with xp on and retrieve the files, since this one also has xp operating system on it. How would i have to set the jumper , if this is achievable and would it matter if this was at the top or bottom of the ide cable or the bottom.
The options on the hard drive for the jumpers are,
1 No jumper-slave
2 DS[master]
3 CS enabled
4 Cap limit.

Thanks

Yes, that is how you do it. Take option 1- No Jumper (slave)
It needs to be inbetween the hard drive and motherboard- once you see the IDE cable, that will make since.

I have attempted to undertake the above but come back with an error message on screen, disc boot failure when the other hard drive is placed between the main hard drive and mother board, the jumper on the drive i am after using as a slave has been removed but it is failing to boot from the main drive. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

If the primary has a jumper (and it does) make sure it's either on cable select, or master. More than likely it will need to be on master. Try that, and see if it helps. Some drives have to be set on certain things to work.

Back
Top Bottom