Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-30-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz
Default Converting .avi to MPEG-2

So I have two .avi files, 700 MB a piece. I wanted to join them together into one file (since the second is the second part of a movie) and then put them onto DVD. I didn't previously have any knowledge of how to do this, I have never encoded or done anything like this, but I did a tad bit of research and downloaded a program called virtual dub which merged the files together quite nicely (I followed a tutorial on some site, same site I got the program from). So, now I have this 1.36 GB .avi file ready to be encoded to MPEG-2 and put on a DVD, right? Not so fast.

From the same site, they suggested a few programs to do this, I chose the one they gave a tutorial for (since I really don't know much about what I'm doing) called TMPGEnc Plus 2.5. They claim it isn't top of the line like CCE SP or whatever it's called, but can produce some pretty quality stuff if done the right way. So, I follow their guide, and get to a part, basically the end, where I'm supposed to get the file size to contribute to like 95% of the disc (by default it's at like 270%) and to lower the average video bitrate until the percentage drops to about 95-97%. Before I can even reach this, the lowering stops itself and the percentage is left at 148. Basically, there is too much movie for the 4.7 GB disc I'm going to use. Even in the movie info that they provide at the top of this page, it says 358 mins!! Why is this? The movie is like 2 and a half hours. I'm assuming that because I'm changing the format from .avi to a higher quality format, the size of the file increases greatly, but not the length of the actual movie! I actually decided to just go ahead and see what would happen if I did just one file. I took the first file, and encoded it, and it came out to be like 3 GB or some ridiculous size, but for some weird reason, there is no sound! Regardless, can anyone help me out in some way? Maybe suggest a different route? I just want to get this movie onto DVD int he best quality possible, but while in one file, I don't want to have two separate discs ya know? If it isn't possible, I can settle, but I still want the best quality I can get. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Converting .avi to MPEG-2

You don't need to do any of that. Just download DVDFlick and it will do it all for you. Just add your files, then tick "Create ISO" in the project options, then select "create DVD". An ISO file will be created which you can then burn to a DVD using IMGBurn (included with DVDFlick).

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz
Default Re: Converting .avi to MPEG-2

But will the quality be satisfactory? And will it even fit on one disc?

Never mind, I downloaded the program, did everything for me like you said, quality is pretty good. Thanks a lot man.