Consistent Crashing?

LOLZpersonok

In Runtime
My Windows XP machine has lately been crashing a lot, and I think I know why, but I want to know how I can make the crashes happen less often.

If I've been away from my computer for at least 20 minutes, I'm going to come back and I'll likely find that it's crashed.

It doesn't crash within a certain amount of time after starting up, basically just at random. Sometimes it doesn't crash at all. It also doesn't need to be under load to crash either.

The CPU is overclocked from 2.11GHz to 2.62GHz. I decreased it from 2.80GHz for that reason.

It's from 2007 and has 3 blown capacitors, but they aren't really bad though, 2 have only a little bit of electrolyte coming from the top and one is just bulging at the top. It's from overclocking. The computer still runs fast and is not buggy when it hasn't crashed and does not display other symptoms of bad capacitors.

I attempted to install Windows XP, 7 and 8 on a different partition on the hard drive but they all just keep crashing before the setup will complete. I wouldn't be able to format the hard drive without a crash.

How can I make these crashes occur less often, or maybe even not at all?

Step one, get rid of the overclock. As components age they can't maintain as high of oc's as they used to.

Step two, replace whatever has blown capacitors. That is not always from over clocking and even bulging ones are bad. Any blown or bulging cap is a sign of a failing component.

Agreed. At the very least, the blown capacitors are the reason your computer is unstable.

Step one, get rid of the overclock. As components age they can't maintain as high of oc's as they used to.

Step two, replace whatever has blown capacitors. That is not always from over clocking and even bulging ones are bad. Any blown or bulging cap is a sign of a failing component.

I wouldn't be able to replace capacitors as it'd require taking the motherboard out and soldering, and I'd rather not do either.

So I'd just replace the computer?

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Agreed. At the very least, the blown capacitors are the reason your computer is unstable.

I'm already aware of that. I just want to try and minimize their effect on the computer.

Replace the motherboard how did you get on with the downloading of files in the end that you could not do and I gave you a script to view them.

Kind Regards

Yes, replace the motherboard.

What motherboard would I get? My case, despite being a tower, will not take a regular motherboard. It wouldn't fit.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Replace the motherboard how did you get on with the downloading of files in the end that you could not do and I gave you a script to view them.

Kind Regards

I don't know, they kind of started up again after I realized I had to use Opera to download files.

But anyways, it's too late for this computer. It doesn't POST anymore. Or at least it fails to complete the POST.

Back
Top Bottom