connecting linux to the internet

Shadow0fDeath

Solid State Member
Hey,

I'm pretty new to Linux so excuse the n00b question. I bought Red Hat Linux 9 a while back to dual boot it on my computer along side of WindowsXP. Though i was curious how i connect Linux to the Internet. I have internet access via Microsoft Broadband networking's wireless router and everything and i'm not sure if an M$ product is compatible with it

1. It's DOS Based. Linux is UNIX based
2. It's Microsoft's product. Not Red Hats or anyone elses who may make it compatible with UNIX based systems

if this is possible how can i network the computers with my router and Adapter?

Have you tried Internet conection sharing on the Lan server? That is how I connect my linux boxes to the net and the windows server doesn't seem to mind.

I have just got a wireless router wotking on Linux (MDK 9.2), I am no expert but I believe wireless lan adapters are sticking point under linux, (like most newer technologies initial drivers are all written by the manufacturers to keep in bed with microsoft) , i specifically bought a netgear MA311 PCI card as they do work in linux. I was amazed how easy the proceedure was in Mandrake. I would say that the instalation was easier than XP (no re-boot). The card was just detected and boob i could surf away.
Anyway I suggest you do some research and find out if your card is supported by linux (yet). try www.linux-wlan.org/

Back
Top Bottom