Conflicting Programs

Jon120

Solid State Member
I am running on XP service pack 2 or 3. I have avast and zonealarm for my virus protection and firewall. Lately I wanted to play some old games like Nox, Simcity 3000, and the Sims 1. They install fine but when I click on the desktop icon the cd drive spins up and stops, does that twice and the splash screen is displayed and then nothing happens. My thought was that the virus or firewall or both were stopping the game from launching. So I added the files I think the games needed to the exclusion lists and tell it that its trusted and all of that stuff. But still nothing. Any help would be much appreciated :)

It's not likely to be either the firewall or the AV causing the issue.

What are some of the other specs of the computer? I doubt it should have a problem running any of those games but it's worth looking into.

If you don't have SP3 yet, you really should download it.

You have the CD in for the game you try to load right?

The thing is I can run some games on this computer. I have had it the other games on here. But since then I have re installed windows for virus reasons and have updated the graphics card. At the moment I do have service pack 3 and a AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4000 + 2.10GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Physical Extension. The games do require DirectX7, But I have 9 and thought it would be ok to run 7 still. It's really puzzling me :confused:

Try installing DirectX7 as well. I don't think they are backwards compatible...someone help me with that if I'm wrong?

I thought if I did that it will go funny or say you have Directx9 why install 7 and all that business. I shall do that when I get home tonight

Ok. I might do it at the weekend then after backing everything up. Its just weird how I was able to play these games, then something happened and now I can't. The last major hardware change was a graphics card, but the games didn't work before I changed that. When I re installed windows could I have selected something that resulted in not being able to play games. I think I set it up as English US. I thought this would reverse my keyboard because the computer thinks the keyboard is american so " and @ are swapped. I don't know whats going on really :S

Last edited:
You are properly right. Since I probably only installed directx9 when I reinstalled windows and those games require directx7. I will install directx7 after I have done a back up later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom