Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
In Runtime

Unhappy Computer memory prob

I got this Gateway laptop for Christmas, and it used to run really fast, but now it goes really slow. It happened after I made it look like Windows 7, but that was before I installed Norton, so if I restore it I won't have Norton. How should I fix it?

Vacuumfan7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Computer memory prob

Yes. Norton is a resourse hog. There are many free anti-virus programs that will do just as good a job (or even better) that don't take up near as much resourses.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Avira is best one ... i am running my laptops with AVIRA .... its still going awesome from last 8 months !

How to Deal Computers By Computer Sneaker Click To Know
engrmudasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
xxcobraxx

making windows look like 7 will be a massive drop in performance even tho norton maybe a resource hog I think his look-a-like windows 7 is causing this problem..don't forget norton may have auto scan on which slows it down big time
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Agreed. The two combined probably don't work together. I guess I didn't understand what "made it look like Windows 7" meant. I assumed he/she just changed settings or something like that.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Baseband Member

One can use windows-7 miser that helps windows to look like windows 7
and window miser attacks directly hard disk and reduce its performance.
engrmudasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
In Runtime

But I wouldn't have Norton if I ran system restore, which means I would probably have to pay for it again.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

If you have a security code (or license key or whatever they call it) that they gave you when you bought it, then it should be fine as long as it does not expire you can keep using it. The only problem would be if they keep track of how many installs you've used so you might have to call and tell them that it got uninstalled.

Can you just remove the "look-a-like" program and see if it helps? You don't have to do a restore if you just go through add/remove programs.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
xxcobraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Agreed. The two combined probably don't work together. I guess I didn't understand what "made it look like Windows 7" meant. I assumed he/she just changed settings or something like that.

I wasn't having a go at you just thought since i use to do silly things with xp to look like vista, kinda took away all my system performance
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
If you have a security code (or license key or whatever they call it) that they gave you when you bought it, then it should be fine as long as it does not expire you can keep using it. The only problem would be if they keep track of how many installs you've used so you might have to call and tell them that it got uninstalled.

Can you just remove the "look-a-like" program and see if it helps? You don't have to do a restore if you just go through add/remove programs.
I went through the Add/remove programs and deleted some obsolete programs yesterday. But it still runs slow due to the impact on the hard drive and RAM. I really want to upgrade to SSD.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Man I really should have made a restore point before I realized that it would have an impact on my computer.

Tags
computer, laptop, ram, slow, virus