Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 31
Question Computer makes noise when idle, stops when I get back

Sometimes when I go for a shower or whatever, I'll come back to my computer making a bunch of noise, like it's doing work. As soon as I do something, it stops. Any idea what it could be?

My first thoughts are that something like an antivirus (or a virus) could be causing it, I have AVG and MSE installed.
__________________

throstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
In Runtime
 
OS-Wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default Re: Computer makes noise when idle, stops when I get back

No need for AVG, just delete it -- MSE is better. More than likely the sound you hear is your hard drive(s) are being indexed during idle periods.
__________________

__________________
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: Computer makes noise when idle, stops when I get back

Quote:
Originally Posted by throstur View Post
Sometimes when I go for a shower or whatever, I'll come back to my computer making a bunch of noise, like it's doing work. As soon as I do something, it stops. Any idea what it could be?

My first thoughts are that something like an antivirus (or a virus) could be causing it, I have AVG and MSE installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
No need for AVG, just delete it -- MSE is better. More than likely the sound you hear is your hard drive(s) are being indexed during idle periods.
As OS-Wiz points out, this is most likely the indexing service. If you don't search for files using explorer, this is a useless feature, should be disabled and can actually decrease lifespan (drastically in SSD's)

Regarding the comment about removing AVG and keeping MSE, I wouldn't back that. It is very good to have only one "On-Access" (or constantly running) anti-virus solution, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have anything else. No AV package sees absolutely everything, so employing multiple "On-Demand" scanners is a wise thing to do.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 669
Default Re: Computer makes noise when idle, stops when I get back

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
As OS-Wiz points out, this is most likely the indexing service. If you don't search for files using explorer, this is a useless feature, should be disabled and can actually decrease lifespan (drastically in SSD's)

Regarding the comment about removing AVG and keeping MSE, I wouldn't back that. It is very good to have only one "On-Access" (or constantly running) anti-virus solution, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have anything else. No AV package sees absolutely everything, so employing multiple "On-Demand" scanners is a wise thing to do.
I don't know about avg, but my avast runs hard drive scans while my computer is inactive, quite smart if you ask me.

True though, no need for 2 av's. I can't tell a difference other than the annoying of the update popups between CA AVG and Avast, avast is the only one that doesnt crash my game doing so, so I use it.
aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: Computer makes noise when idle, stops when I get back

That's the difference though between "On Access" and "On Demand"

On Access AV runs in the background, keeping you safe. (e.g. Security Essentials)

On Demand AV is only run when you open it and start a scan. (e.g. MalwareBytes)

There is no AV package that catches everything all the time, so having an On Access running and then an On Demand (or two) is a good idea.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0