Computer Fact or Urban Myth?

Tisatashar

Solid State Member
My question relates to windows performance and HDD.

A hardware tech told me that as I have a 120 Gb HDD then I should partition it. Half for Windows Operations and half for storage of files etc.

Another person told me Windows performance is controlled by one thing only RAM and that the HDD somehow enhances performance is an urban myth.

I myself want to re-partition with about 10Gb allocated to windows as some disaster or other regularly happens and I always seem to be re-formatting and this way protects my Library of programs/games/study /MP3 etc.

So......

If I allocate more HDD space to windows will XP whiz along better??

I doubt it, and if it does, it wont be anything noticable, at least to a human user anyway, if you want better performance get more or a better cpu or a better video card, just where did this tech guy work anyway? bestbuy?

It's a myth.

Now, if you had a seperate HDD, on a seperate IDE channel/controler for the swap file, then you'd be cooking!

darvocet_outlaw said:
It's a myth.

Now, if you had a seperate HDD, on a seperate IDE channel/controler for the swap file, then you'd be cooking!

that's true...i heard of that before too, and that it works out very well, it will help in making the comp. scream.

naah its all just a huge myth.... although do make sure that you allot a good amount of hard disk to windows..... 10 Gb as you say will be enough.. the system restore utility itself takes up arouund 600-700 MB space depending on the settings...

Back
Top Bottom