Compaq recovery

skonz

Beta member
Hello I am new to the forums my name's scott.

Basically I bought a computer from compaq late 2005 and its been ok.
I didn't get no recovery cd's with my pc which is annoying and didnt know how to make them at the time. So to the problem. My friend put a beta version of Vista on my pc a while back and it messed up the partitions which was on the D: drive which is now on the C: drive. All the files are intact thank god. But when I boot up the machine and press F10 it wont load the recovery software? Maybe where it's not going to the right part of the drive as I now installed another version of Xp which on D: drive. On boot menu I get two Windows Xp Homes come up only the first one works not the second which may of been the original XP. If anyone has any ideas as im puzzled let me know.

Regards.

this is why i hate compaq lol you have to burn your own recovery cd. it should be in your start menu somewhere. try using that.

oh so your telling me that u install another version of XP and deleted all your files (AKA clean install)? just trying to clarify.

if everything is gone you might have to call up compaq and ask if they can send you a restore cd. not sure if they do that anymore, but its worth a try.

btw what model compaq do you have?

Yeah clean install, But the partition for recovery is there is there a software I can use to bring it back and install the original xp.

the only software i could think of is a compaq recovery cd or a windows xp disk.

skonz said:
Hello I am new to the forums my name's scott.

Basically I bought a computer from compaq late 2005 and its been ok.
I didn't get no recovery cd's with my pc which is annoying and didnt know how to make them at the time. So to the problem. My friend put a beta version of Vista on my pc a while back and it messed up the partitions which was on the D: drive which is now on the C: drive. All the files are intact thank god. But when I boot up the machine and press F10 it wont load the recovery software? Maybe where it's not going to the right part of the drive as I now installed another version of Xp which on D: drive. On boot menu I get two Windows Xp Homes come up only the first one works not the second which may of been the original XP. If anyone has any ideas as im puzzled let me know.

Regards.

If all else fails, i would contact Compaq company and explain your dilema to them, i'm sure they will work out a way to send you the restore cd's to correct this.

If all else fails, i would contact Compaq company and explain your dilema to them, i'm sure they will work out a way to send you the restore cd's to correct this.

The same thing happend to me (But i was trying to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 98) I Rang Compaq (The pc was only 1 year old) and they were going to charge $66 (AU$) for a new set of recovery disks.I HATE Compaq.

:D Thats my 2 cents

skonz said:
Yeah clean install, But the partition for recovery is there is there a software I can use to bring it back and install the original xp.
hey if the partition for recovery is still there look in the bios there may be a setting to boot to the recovery partition i know my laptop has one of them but it isnt a compaq , i think dell do the same as well , or look in the boot menu try to find a way to boot into it

on my compaq desktop i had to make a recovery dvd. theres a way to get into recovery from the bios (its f10 or something) but you need the dvd to re install afaik

Back
Top Bottom