Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Golden Master
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Common files between Ubuntu and Windows

I'm using Ubuntu more and more now, primarily because its much more stable (I'd get random hangups in 7, but not ubuntu), much less resource intensive, and runs MATLAB much faster.

Anyways, I've currently duplicated my music, videos, pictures, and documents across both drives. This amounts to 35GB that is duplicated. I don't want to just have linux mount the windows partition on start up and use those documents folders, because then I've got all the "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files in there, along with all the files that are still only needed in windows.

Really what I want to be common between the two is my music and videos. Documents aren't that important because there are just a few that I need to be able to access in both, and I can manage that on the few occasions I would access those.

All that said, what would you guys recommend to have as about 50 GB of storage for music, videos and pictures between windows and linux?

edit- the only thing I can think of is having my desktop serve as a file server and running ubuntu with samba on it, but unless that is the only option I don't think I want to do that as I would like to have access to all my files at any location.

AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: Common files between Ubuntu and Windows

I am not sure what version of ubuntu you have but I know that most of the recent ones, going back to 9.04 i believe haveas support for NTFS3G. This is a program that will allow you to view anything on your windows NTFS partition. You should be able to use whatever music/video player you want to play them and then just use your file browser to find the files.

Now as I am sure you know your windows partition won't show up as C: or D: it will show up as the size of the partition. Just click on that then go to users, then yourusername, and follow the tree to wherever your music is stored.

I think that you will only have to put things in one spot with this.

Linux Forever!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote