Commercials, add and such playing while I have nothing open...

Keen

Solid State Member
About a week ago or so my computer started playing adds, commercials and such. No video, just audio. I can reboot my computer and let it sit with nothing open and adds will just start playing. No browser or anything is open. I open task manager and there is nothing open in the applications tab. Yet, I am getting the audio of adds. Sometimes two or three are playing at the same time over top each other.

95% of the time I use Firefox. I updated that to the latest version. I ran Malewarebytes and that found nothing. I am not aware of anything I could have done to enable these adds.

The adds seem current as I heard on for the new Lone Ranger movie.

I did a system restore to about two weeks ago but the adds persist.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

First thing I would check is your Programs and Features. See if there are any unusual programs that are installed. Uninstall any toolbars for your internet, anything that is for coupons or that sort of thing. See if that does the trick.

Thanks. I checked and I have a lot of programs there. Not sure what would be considered unusual. Is there any way to tell which is running and/or playing the adds?

You can check Task Manager. If you post screenshots of your Add/Remove and of your Task Manager we might be able to help you decide what you don't need.

You can also run Malwarebytes Antimalware (free version) to determine if there is any malware/spyware on the computer.

As a side note, my Windows Vista appearance has changed. I don't know why. I don't care for the new look but I don't know how to change it back.

Ok, so I think it's tied to my Windows Explorer browser. I notice they adds play after I open it. Yet the still play after I close it. Totally confused. I am going to stop using it for a few days and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom