Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default cloud storage

Don't know if this is the right category but I have questions re: cloud storage. Is this just about the same type service as remote backup? If I use cloud storage for my files do they still reside on my computer? Is it faster to access files directly from my computer as opposed to the cloud? I presently use Carbonite as my online backup and hace logmein to allow my accountant to access my books. Would something like Dropbox be better?

ortho1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: cloud storage

Dropbox keeps a replication of the data you have on their server, on your computer. So any change you make on your computer, is immediately made on their server. It is a wonderful service. Accessing files on your local computer will always be faster as the files are stored inside of your computer.
Files stored online first have to be retrieved before they can accessed. So for example, if the company (i.e. Carbonite) has their server in lets say Bora Bora, than your computer has to retrieve these files all the way from Bora Bora. Now, in the modern world this takes all but a couple of seconds, depending on the file of course, but it will still be faster on your computer.

7D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Beta Member

So the files reside both on my computer and on their server? Is Dropbox really any different than Carbonite?
ortho1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #4

Cloud storage is a model of networked online storage where data is stored on multiple virtual servers, generally hosted by third parties, rather than being hosted on dedicated servers.
RandyChrist is offline   Reply With Quote