Cloud Computing Help!!!

DemBlades94

Beta member
Hi Currently doing a research study,

could someone help me?

i'll put the question then put my answer below what I've got so far.

1. Five major choices you would make when provisioning a virtual machine on a typical cloud platform?

One major choice when provisioning a virtual machine is to choose an operating system that is suitable towards the cloud platform. The operating system should be able to run servers that are provided by Google, Azure and Amazon.
Consider the vCPU(CPU), this is so that the assigned CPU can cope with varies of workloads. 4 to 8 vCPUs can be assigned to each physical core.
Storage also needs to be considered when building a VM, the biggest factors of this are performance and scalability. Reasoning being is that a virtualized server generates more data and traffic. Using SAN (storage attached network) and NAS (network attached storage) is more suitable for Cloud as we are building large scale environments.
(MY ANSWER SO FAR)

2. What solution would you propose to ensure the security of connections between a cloud based virtual server and individual client computers the company's office? Describe how your proposed solution would ensure that the connection was secure.

Would help me a lot :)

2, VPN with end to end encryption?

edit: 1. server location/distance relative to client, decreased distance = reduced latency for workloads that demand it.

Hi Currently doing a research study,

could someone help me?

i'll put the question then put my answer below what I've got so far.

1. Five major choices you would make when provisioning a virtual machine on a typical cloud platform?
...Consider the vCPU(CPU), this is so that the assigned CPU can cope with varies of workloads. 4 to 8 vCPUs can be assigned to each physical core. ...

i believe that you can assign either 64, or 256 "core" to a Vcpu in Vmware now (assuming your platform provider uses that in their stack.) I can't recall what the socket and core limits are for AWS.

you're on the right track.

1, OS
2, CPU resource
3, Memory resource.
4, attached disk space
5, location, relative to you, AND what legally happens with the data. - an example is where I work we have a customer that insists that the data center for their clients data is in Canada, not only that, but they specifically route traffic over links that do not go through the USA, the same customer insists on their mainland Europe data center presence is in Germany, due to their excellent data protection laws.

2. What solution would you propose to ensure the security of connections between a cloud based virtual server and individual client computers the company's office? Describe how your proposed solution would ensure that the connection was secure.

Would help me a lot :)
as said above a VPN is a fairly standard approach.

there are also things like express route if you're using Azure (you can get a dedicated line.) - though to be fair, you'd probably want to encrypt data on that line using a VPN anyway.

the question states "individual computers" so I would assume that a site-site VPN is not secure enough, as that would only protect between the office network and the data center network.

you could use (with a linux client) a regular SSH connection and port forwarding. that is client to server end to end encryption, not office - DC or computer - dc network...

5, location, relative to you, AND what legally happens with the data. - an example is where I work we have a customer that insists that the data center for their clients data is in Canada, not only that, but they specifically route traffic over links that do not go through the USA, the same customer insists on their mainland Europe data center presence is in Germany, due to their excellent data protection laws.

WOW, that's a great point. We Americans do a LOT of snooping on overseas data, and even domestic data if it's transmitted over foreign networks at any point in its journey. It's effing stupid.

Back
Top Bottom