closing apps at top right of screen

radome

Baseband Member
for some reason, i cant get the cursor to display the red x (close app) when i take the cursor to the top right of the screen. because of this, i am assuming that the app stays open and each subsequent app is opened on top. is there a fix for this?

thanks,

radome

I am sure you are talking about the Metro apps (Or modern UI apps) in Windows 8
They don't have that. That is gonna be fixed in windows 10.
In Windows 8 you drag them down from the top. So you grab the top of the app and drag them down against the bottom.

I never use Metro apps. They stink in my opinion.

thanks bikerecho. i always value your opinion, actually the computer was needing me to restart for an update which actually solved the problem. i can drop the x down from the top of the screen and close the app again.

radome

Ohh yeah. I can see they added an X and - in the top bar of the apps. just tested it.
Windows 8 didn't always have that. They must have added that in windows 8.1. I haven't used Modern UI since the first official built of windows 8.

Actually, the drop down Title bar with the X in the top right corner was added in Win 8.1 update 1. It does the same thing as dragging the top of the app to the bottom of the screen. The app then goes into hibernation, where it is no longer running but still has a footprint in memory so that if you open it again it will load quicker.

To fully exit an app in Win 8.x, you need to drag it to the bottom of the screen and hold it for a second or two until it flips. When it flips, that means it has been totally removed from memory. Another way to fully remove an app from memory would be to open Task Manager and kill the task but the drag/flip thing is less brute force.

I don't use Modern apps on my laptop that runs Win 8.1 but use a few on my tablet. People that don't switch back and forth between Windows PCs and Windows Tablets can't see the beauty of an OS that works well on both platforms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom