Cloning an old Win98 system to new hardware.

dlthom0

Solid State Member
Hey Guys,

So I'm at King's College in London and we've got an old comp running Win98 that runs some equipment here. However, this thing is definately on its last leg. I want to clone the comp to a new spec computer because all of the programs that run the equipment are only on 98. The computer uses two RS-485 com ports to talk to a PLC.

I was thinking about getting the following computer: http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=274994&sku=Q109724&sourceid=9000

Also, I figured I'd just put a PCI card that had two RS-485 ports.

I've cloned computers from one to another but only ever to an exact same spec computer. Do you think this will work? Anything I need to be aware of?

Also, if possible I wanted to dual boot. I figured I'd put two HDDs one with the cloned partition and the other running XP.

Thanks for any advice that anyone can give.

Their are some good cloning programs like Norton ghost and Acronis true image that clone hdd but as for it working on a new computer with a more advanced spec I'm not sure, I use ghost and once had to change my graphics card as it was faulty then a few weeks later i went to restore my ghost image and it did not work, I had to do a complete format and reinstall windows and all then ghost the drive again with the new card in.
What you might find is you have a similar problem as when you clone your old system it will copy all you current hardware( graphics card, sound card ,etc drivers and then reject them when you try to put it in your new system. I hope I'm wrong and another member tells you otherwise. Good luck hope you manage it.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I have access to both Norton Ghost and Acronis. I was going to use Acronis and the version of Ghost doesn't work with Win98. I'm not sure what else to do as the computer really needs to be replaced and getting a similar spec machine would be impossible.

Is there a way for me to out a fresh copy of Win98 on and then just copy all of the programs as is?

I dont think you can extract the W98 files and use them as OS instalation disc otherwise we would all be doing it. you will need the 98 disc

If all else fails install that, but I would be inclined to put it on as dual boot with XP OR VISTA unless your happy to have it that way. Hold out for a day or so and maybe another member will solve your cloning issue and you wont have to do the complete install.

Back
Top Bottom