which cd to store documents?

vicjova

Solid State Member
I want to store documents as well as move them from my old computer to my new PC. There is a CD-R and CC-RW. As far as I know the RW is the better of the two, the documents can be updated or deleted? Am I correct? I need to store/move documents on Microsoft Word and my Noteworthy Composer music scores (not the audio, but the "document" with the measures and music notation). I hope I have explained this properly. Thank you.

The CD-RW. CD-Rs can only be written once. If you want to erase, write again, erase and so on, the CD-RW is the best option. Having said that, flash drives are the absolute best alternative right now.

Personally, I would get an external hdd rather than use CDs or other optical disks. Also, more much more preferable than flash drives for storage.

Its called standard NWC file, not "document". I will get the CD-RW, but also consider the flash drive. Thanks for your help.

Never heard of an external hdd before. I will call my local stores to see what is available. I just did a search, external hard drive.

Last edited:
If you get a small external drive based on a 2.5" hdd, you won't need any additional power supply, simply plug into a USB port.

You can get 1TB sized external HDDs for $50-60 that are faster, with greater capacity and better reliability than flash drives.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canv...595048_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1514571889&sr=1-1

I would recommend against using CD/DVDs simply because it is an outdated technology that is going away (just like floppy disks). Flash drives are useful for moving data from one system to another but aren't really great for long term storage.

Last edited:
The only disadvantage of an external hard drive is size. If you don't mind about that then you can get a lot of storage very cheap.

How long are you planning on keeping them? I have stacks of CDs and DVDs from a decade ago, stored in good conditions that now have the foil peeling off the disc, or holes in the fool that are simply unreadable...

Have to keep them dry and in the dark. If in sunlight the coding on the film kinda becomes unreadable. I have dvds and cds that are 20 years old that are kept in the dark all the time. I can still play them like new.

I want my files on my computer and also on backup, in case I have to system restore the computer. I intend to keep my music for decades.

Back
Top Bottom