Cant play a .avi movie

Half Evil

Golden Master
Ive downloaded every codec I possibly know, unistealled them all and now trying k-lite and this is still not working. I start the video, get like 19 seconds of the start of it and it says in the media screen "codec error use windows media player"

Its almost like its a part of the movie though, because it also says that in windows media player. Ive got the same error on a few different files of the same movie.

I dont understand what to do. Media player classic wouldnt work, nor VLC or WMP.

I doubt it'll make any kind of difference, but have you tried running a virus scan?

Uhm....... no? Lol

I can give it a shot I guess, but I don't even understand how that could work.

Me either. I"m just hoping it could be something as easy as a virus poking it's nose into the codecs.

Where did you get the avi's from? and would you know if they work on another computer?

Actually, I think celegorm could be onto something with a virus scan, though I don't think it's the codecs themselves that are infected.

The fact that it keeps saying it wants to play on windows media player suggests to me that it wants to run something in the background that it can only do with an unpatched / insecure version of windows media player. I'd hazard a guess that you're running the latest (or at least a relatively secure!) copy of WMP that has patched this issue and prevents whatever nasty work it's trying to do from being executed. This is a GOOD thing, I'd certainly be very suspicious of trying to get such a video to work.

How did you get the avi file by any chance? I'd run a full scan on the file itself and, if you downloaded it, whatever program you used to do so. I'd also try downloading it with a different browser / program / whatever than you used originally in case the program itself has become infected in some way (it's not unknown, IIRC there was a virus a few years back that hooked into IE to do something like this.)

As a general rule, if VLC can't play it then it's generally either very broken or infected ;)

Ill produce a scan now, and I got the file from a torrent.

My other .avi's work so IDK why this one wouldnt. I will have to try it on another computer.

i would say that since your other files work and that one doesn't that it is either corrupt of infected if vlc cant read it usually nothing will.
unless you got this file legally there is also the chance you got one of the fake files that various companys disturbute to flood the network.

I would guess it's a corrupted or infected file as well. I'd be cautious if actually trying to get it to work.

Back
Top Bottom