Cannot make working shortcuts to desktop

JjEjFjF

Solid State Member
I created shortcuts to the desktop for my optical drives D:cd-rw and E:dvd-rw , when i click on either of these shortcuts i get a message that says"The item D:/E: that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved , so this shortcut will no longer work properly"
I get this message with either shortcut.
I deleted the shortcuts and made new ones several times and still the same message.
The A: drive shortcut works ok.
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
Win xp pro
Thanks in advance.

Right click, proterties the shortcut and make sure the shortcut is linked to E:\ for example

Thanks technoman ,
All is normal in the properties.
I dont know whats up with this.As i said,i can make shortcuts to C: and A: and they work.

You said D:/ in your explaination - is that a spelling mistake or is it D:/ in the Shortcut because it should be D:\. Have you tried dragging and dropping the Drives onto the Desktop and letting the Computer make the Link?

Lord Kalthorn said:
You said D:/ in your explaination - is that a spelling mistake or is it D:/ in the Shortcut because it should be D:\. Have you tried dragging and dropping the Drives onto the Desktop and letting the Computer make the Link?

I was refering to two differant drives in my explination D: and E:
( D:/ E: ) sorry about that.

I did try dragging and dropping and still got the same result.
I did finally get them to work. What i did was put a cd in each of the drives then created shortcuts. It sounds kinda backwards but it worked.
I tried the shortcuts before and after taking the cds out and they work ok

Thanks for the reply

Ah cool that makes sense. Personally I use the Shortcuts on the Start Menu instead so there is a nice Menu for every Drive.

Lord Kalthorn said:

Windows corrects C:/ to C:\ for you

Lord Kalthorn said:
Ah cool that makes sense. Personally I use the Shortcuts on the Start Menu instead so there is a nice Menu for every Drive.

Actually i put all of the drive shortcuts in the quick launch toolbar.
I just create them to the desktop first then put them in the quick launch.
Cant get any easier then that , if you use them often.
I like your idea too though.

Back
Top Bottom