can not use windows recovery discs

pep

Beta member
Hi I am currently looking at a computer for a friend and have come across something I do not usually see. I am working on an HP Pavilion DV7 1 27 )us Entertainment notebook. It was given to me to look at because windows vista will not launch it reaches the the little welcome screen where its just about to head into the user selection page and stops, the screen is pale an you can just about see this image. We got Hp to send new recovery disks, as the regular way of doing it ( hitting F11) recovery and going through safe mode didn't work. all diagnostics passed and when it does the scroll of components it gets stuck on system 32 and goes no further. Now the other issue is the recovery discs do not work, even running the discs from bios mode the computer will still not give us an option to recover the computer, it either goes to the same screen as loading windows normally and stops or trying other modes the computer goes black and does not give any options from the disc to repair etc. We called HP back again but they said they could not help us :facepalm:. Anyone have any ideas onto what to try next?

Your not going to be able to recovery the system. Get Ubuntu and boot to it. Use the Live aspect and get your personal data off the drive and back it up to a thumb drive or other device. Format and reinstall Windows.

Thank you I hadn't heard of this operating system before, but I will see if i can download it onto a disc from this computer and see if i can boot up the other computer with it. So out of curiosity why will the computer read this an not the system recovery discs, and if it boots up, will the other recovery discs be able to bring back the original windows.

Ubuntu is a version of Linux. It is a LiveCD and it will be able to read the hard drive. It will not allow the recovery disks to fix the system.

I think there might be another answer here but you will need to burn the iso to a disk. From there you will need to try and boot from it. I think that your cd/dvd drive is spent. If that is the case you will know right away after trying to boot from the disk. Once you have figured this out then we can go from there.

Ty for all the help, i am thinking it is a hardware issue probably the video controller in which case i do not have the ability to fix the issue. I would like to thank you all for the help. Software I am pretty good at so it was confusing me and of course I forgot to check the flashing sequence the laptop made by the cap lock button. I think I preferred it when the computers beeped to say there was a hardware issue.

Back
Top Bottom