Can I run Linux Mint w/ 970 GPU?

frldyz

In Runtime
Can I run Mint on 3 monitors w/ i7 & GTX 970?

Forgive me if this is a newb. Linux question. But I am a newb. Linux user.

I have been playing around with mint on an old computer that I had laying around in the basement. But I'd like to replace my Win 7 with mint on my main computer

I'm asking this simple question because I recall reading that getting your graphics card to work w/ mint is a nightmare?

I7 4790k
MSI GTX 970 GPU
Gigabyte gaming 3 mobo
16gb Crucial RAM

*I'm not a gamer. So why do I have a 970? I thought it looked cool, the color scheme matches my set-up and I have 3 144mhz monitors.
**Why do I have 3 144mhz monitor if I don't game? They were dirt cheap on sale thru newegg.
*** This computer is used ONLY for online browsing. No gaming. No streaming. No movies or netflix. No wifi. No file storage. Youtube, forums, articles, emails pretty much only.

Thanks everyone.

RTFM

Just kidding. Here: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-configure-multiple-monitors-in-linux-mint

Mint is a good option since you have a wizard to install all the necessary drivers.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

PS: It's no nightmare, in fact, chances are you won't have to do a thing other than installing.

Is it as simple as just a normal Mint OS install?
Or do I need to search for special drivers?

Is it as simple as just a normal Mint OS install?
Or do I need to search for special drivers?
Once you installed, boot into the system, go to Settings > Drivers (or some similar name, it's next to the Firewall) and select the ones you want. Normally you'll have options for your processor's microcode and graphics card drivers.

Also check the check box while installing that reads "Install third party software..." To get propietary drivers for WiFi adapters and onther misc hardware.

As for the DE, I know you didn't ask,but Cinnamon is the best by far in my opinion. It doesn't have unnecessary setting like KDE, uses less resources than KDE (more than XFCe and MATE), and has better functionality than XFCE and MATE. It's very similar to Windows in every aspect, even more than KDE.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

PS: if you have an SSD and an HDD, you should create the /home and /var partitions in the HDD (the reasons can be found on multiple documentations). Also, you can create 2 swap partitions (one in the HDD and one on the SSD, although if you want to avoid excessive wear in the SSD just create only the one in the HDD) to increase speed. The size of the swap partition/s depends on your RAM, usually a good idea to get 1x or 2x depending on the size of it.

Once you installed, boot into the system, go to Settings > Drivers (or some similar name, it's next to the Firewall) and select the ones you want. Normally you'll have options for your processor's microcode and graphics card drivers.

Also check the check box while installing that reads "Install third party software..." To get propietary drivers for WiFi adapters and onther misc hardware.

As for the DE, I know you didn't ask,but Cinnamon is the best by far in my opinion. It doesn't have unnecessary setting like KDE, uses less resources than KDE (more than XFCe and MATE), and has better functionality than XFCE and MATE. It's very similar to Windows in every aspect, even more than KDE.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

PS: if you have an SSD and an HDD, you should create the /home and /var partitions in the HDD (the reasons can be found on multiple documentations). Also, you can create 2 swap partitions (one in the HDD and one on the SSD, although if you want to avoid excessive wear in the SSD just create only the one in the HDD) to increase speed. The size of the swap partition/s depends on your RAM, usually a good idea to get 1x or 2x depending on the size of it.

I will only have an SSD.
Samsung pro 500gb.

I will not have any additional HDD's or SSD's.

I do not plan to install really much for software. Maybe just some basic stuff within Linux. And I don't plan to store any files on this PC.

So willI really need to partition the SSD?

I will only have an SSD.
Samsung pro 500gb.

I will not have any additional HDD's or SSD's.

I do not plan to install really much for software. Maybe just some basic stuff within Linux. And I don't plan to store any files on this PC.

So willI really need to partition the SSD?
If you only have one drive you'll want to have a separate /home partition. The reason for this is a distro change, update gone wrong, etc.

Just in case, the /home partition is where all your personal files are stored (download, pictures, videos, etc.).

Even if I used the expression as a joke (RTFM), but you should really read all the documentation you can. I got good information from the documentations of : Fedora, Arch, Debian (although most of this one is Debian-specific), Gentoo, and others.

Back
Top Bottom