C Drive Space Help

Killem

Solid State Member
So I recently reinstalled my operating and all went fine until today. I looked at my C Drive, and it only has 4gb of space open. Of 500gb space. I ran disk cleanup, defrag, and I went through and deleted unless files. That only freed up 29gb's of space. Any thoughts?

Also, when I first reinstalled Vista, I wasn't thinking I guess and I copied all my program folders over so that I didn't have to reinstall them. Or that was my thinking. :p
I've gone back and deleted as many of those folders as I can.

Help?

:eek:Aparently you have not partitioned your HD >
I have C: OS - 21 % free
D: Pictures and non system install items
E: Movies/videos
Stop deleting/partition :eek:

Right click on the drive in My Computer and go to properties, see if Windows is recognizing the entire 500GB.

I did Defrag. And Disk cleanup.

Also, what do you guys mean by Partition?

Before this, I never had over 60gb's on my Hard drive...

Partitioning your drive is separating your physical drive into smaller logical drives. I.E. having a 500GB Hard drive separated into two 250GB partitions. Since Windows is at least detecting the entire size of the C: drive, you don't need to partition at this point.

Do you have your computer set to automatically make backups? Windows Vista has "Shadow Storage" which it will not report the size of those files and this could be causing the large discrepancy in overall size and reported free space. To check this, press the Windows Key + R and type CMD to open a command prompt. Type in "vssadmin list shadowstorage" and press enter. See what the size of the shadowstorage space is.

o....k.... talk about weird.

Try going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click on the Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator. Try once more and see if the same thing happens.

Got it. It says that it has 390gb's of shadow storage. I'm guessing thats a lot...

Back
Top Bottom