Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
In Runtime
Default Buggered hard drive and slow windows (urgent)

Hi, I don't have much time to mess around and I came here to know if anyone is familiar with this problem.

I have 3 HDDs (3TB, 1TB, 640GB) and 1 SSD (256gb).

Windows 8 was doing an update then the power failed. I guess it was about time something like that actually causes a screw up.

Anyway on the restart windows would just hang at the windows splash screen with the circular dots going round and round and round. After removing the 640GB windows boots nice and fast.

I turn off the computer. Remove the 1TB SATA connector and stick that into the 640GB. It boots into windows, instantly actually (next to no wait time on the splash screen), which is unusual even for my ssd. Anyway, there is a desktop and a explorer takes about 10 min to load.

Anyway, goto my computer and B disk is there, but with no capacity bar, and when I attempt to access it in explorer I get "B:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect".

Doesn't seem I can access the disk management utility in computer management (just says connecting to virtual disk service indefinitely).

The drive may be broken (infact this is a 2010 warranty replacement for a 2007 drive from WD), but I'm not convinced yet. Might need it's address tables sorting out. A format might solve it. As I can detect the disk I could probably use get data back and grab it all, except that takes an age.

What do people think? Any suggestions. I haven't really got a lot of time on my hands

1: Q6700 @ stock 3GHz 775 6GB-DDR800 ASROCK penryn 1600SLI, 1GB ATI RAEDON 5770 ~ 3TB internal;
2: 3.2Ghz Phenom 9550 Black ed 4GB-DDR3, ASUS skt AM3, HD 4850 512MB
3: Core i7 3.2GHz, 6GB DDR3, 512MB EN8800GT, 1TB Internal
4: Athlon 4000+ skt 939 6600GT 3GB
5: P4 3.4GHz, 3GB-DDR, ASUS skt 775, ATI RAEDON 9550
+ all my other lovely comp parts :)
thomas49th is offline   Reply With Quote