Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default BSD Unix vs. GNU/Linux?

Hello you all *nix gurus,

I am really confused about something lately, after watching this humorous "BSD is dying" video clip on Google Video: . And I wonder, why do BSD people disdain the existence of Linux so much? I can get this mentality almost on every Linux or Unix forum. Aren't they close enough? Well, compared to Windows, Solaris, and others. I know Linux is a modification of Minix. In short, they all belong to the "Unix-like" family, no? I admit that I don't know enough about the history of the computing industry. So, can someone explain to me why there are the "true Unix" camp and the "Unix-like" camp? What and why the difference?

By the way, I started using Gentoo (installation = a hell of fun) and reading the books on LinuxFromScratch.org, pretty inspiring!

Thanks!

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook
kenhkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: BSD Unix vs. GNU/Linux?

It's just a really childish thing that everyone does.

I am a BSD fan but I don't make fun of other distro's.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Baseband Member

So how different is the Linux kernel and the BSD (or Unix in general) kernel? I've heard that BSD is way more stable, robust, "advanced" than Linux (famous one: Port in BSD beats Portage in Gentoo) but on the other hand, applications, community, tutorial, support tend to side with Linux (like I couldn't find drivers for my laptop under BSD). I have been having a hard time figuring out which one should I be learning.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook
kenhkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

mac os x in based on BSD
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote