Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default bootup difficulty w/ new storage drive

Win7 PC wonít bootup stuck on starting windows

Recently having problems w/ windows7 first observation was very slow bootup.

I reinstalled the OS 2 days ago seamed to fix the issue.

2 days later it wonít boot up stuck on starting windows

All this started w/ the installation of a new drive which has caused all kindof problems
It renamed itself which created conflicts w/ the windows media center because the sys I think is independent of media center as far as assigned storage, so it thinks the disk is full which it isnít itís the path or name of HDD created this conflict.

Anyway I remove the drive and the sys. Boots up fine.

My ? is can a faulty storage drive create bootup issues, this has to be the problem?

Apprehensive to reinsert this drive and attempt another boot just happy sys. Booted.

I have this drive in a hot swappable tray thereís a bunch of recorded TV programs that Iíd like to move to a know functioning HDD is there a risk of reinserting this drive then moving the files, which I actuelly did the error was disk full, itís a 2TB w/ maybe 20% used space. I believe this drive needs to be warrentyed.

Additionally this drive continues to disappear then reappear, the power & sata cables are tightly pressed in secure connection + my MOBO only has 6 sata ports and all are being used actuelly the 6th port was the DVD that I never use like a sata port is a sata port right it doesnít care if a HDD or DVD is connected right?

I prefer not to insert a known functioning drive in the same port to prove a good physical connection because the drive is sometimes recognized in w7 but always full in media center. Doeís all this sound like defective drive?
Please advice and thanks

Old 12-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: bootup difficulty w/ new storage drive

Iím not sure which one you need help with. Solve the boot problem by starting in safe mode and run diagnostics using software to test if your hard drive and OS is working properly with no errors. Also check if partition is in place and no errors. Do this by unplugging new devices that you added from original setup.

Files can be recovered without booting assuming they are not corrupted

Old 01-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
In Runtime

this new drive has created alot of issues mainly boot up.
now thats it's removed and I reinstalled the OS to the C drive which is a samsung evo

the sys boots fine'

what I can't understand is the other issue was when the new drive disappeared it also took another drive the G alot of the G files where moved to the new drive all other drives unaffected never moved anything from remaining drives.

I booted up this morning then inserted the new drive it's in a hot swappable tray it's didn't show up and the G disappeared again. this can't be normal?

the sata port could be bad I could swap cables from a know good port for testing.

can I put this drive in a sata to USB enclosure and expect to move the files back to the G and ditch this new defective drive?

this new drive must be defective waiting to hear from the 3rd party seller from new egg.Thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 02:10 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

I'm confused. Are you replacing the system storage with a new because the old one is acting up while at the same time you connect the old one but the drive name is acting up?

If so, make sure the order of data SATA connections is correct or follows the recommendations and the bios has them in the correct order. This typically eliminates drive letter mixing.

If you just wanna copy the old data to the new drive, you can temporarily use the SATA cables of the optical drive for this, no problem.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
In Runtime

What happened is I added a storage drive.

Installed it transferred files to it. then it started to disappear then reappear and when it disappeared the G drive where I moved files from to the new drive would also disappear.
I’m warranting this drive. sys. Won’t boot w/ it connected. so I reinstall OS. I’d like to move the files back to the old storage before I send back.

What’s the risk of connecting to a know functioning SATA & power to recover these files? Like could this drive have damaged it’s SATA port and could possibly ruin another SATA port?
Thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

Honestly, I would use an external dock instead of putting it back inside the system. Windows would treat it as an external drive and so wouldn't start switching out drive numbers.
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
TrotterTech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
In Runtime

after the reinstallation of OS win7 renamed all drive except C.

D,E.F,G, I assigned the new drive as T. besides the renaming is there a risk of damageing the SATA port w/ this new drive? thanks
Old 01-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

Re-connecting SATA drives does not damage the ports if done per correct procedure unless the drive is defective to cause that damage or with over-use. Anything has a life span and a number of usages. Otherwise it's normal and made for that. Random disappearance in drive letters could mean one of the drives is damaged and disconnects randomly.

Always keep an external SATA connection set for data-only transfer. It's faster to work with. I use a case docking and a USB3 docking for that. I even use it to clone OS drives to new ones like in upgrading from HDD to SSD. Also it's best to have at least a second drive internally to keep the first one for OS and main utilities only. This will protect the non OS data (games, videos, etc.) and to run them properly at their best.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
In Runtime

Update: was able to find the old 1TB MY book cables so I basically have a USB connection to the new problem HDD this drive is 2TB not sure if the old wires will support the 2TB problem drive, they plug in fine an drive sounds normal no clicking or abnormal noises.

The error message stated it was ready to use however the driver needed updating which I did. An verified in the drives properties where the drive is recognized as mybook1111 an working properly.

Still canít see the drive in my computer.
Iíve rebooted a few times this problem drive hasnít effected bootup connected to USB.

Still have a few days to recover files before RMAing.
Thanks for any adviceSTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1tb my book cables1.jpg (96.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1tb my book cables2.jpg (95.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #10
In Runtime

update of progress

I just noticed that the DVD drive was named H it actually isn't connected remember I stole it's SATA port & power. however it's listed in disc. management.

all other HDD are recognized as basic except disk 5 it's unknown not initialized and unallocated

the last restart the sys. wanted me to initialize it I'm thinking this another slang PC term for formatting which the disc has been formatted prior to transferring files to it.

the small PCB contraption from inside my old my book used to interface the HDD as a USB has a reset button unsure of whats it's function is.

the other storage drives are CDEFG maybe windows wants to name this new drive as H and this created a conflict since H is being used for the DVD

remember in device manager the drive is named western digital 1111 I'm still confused which is actually the name in disc management I assume the second parentheses is the name and the first is the description.

lastly for right now why doe's this HDD properties indicate the drivers are the the latest and up to date. but another window came up stated 4 headings first three said disc was ready to use 3 different ways then the 4th said update drivers w/ red X?
thanks
Old 01-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
In Runtime

Did I just unshuck a HDD?

Been having issues w/ a HHD I formatted it in disk management got it working thought it was normal so I moved files to it then this drive starting flaking out which also effected the HDD where the files originated from.

It was suggested that I donít connect this drive to another SATA port (sys. Stopped booting w/ it connected) but connecting to USB was acceptable.

I understand that removing a HDD from an enclosure and installing as a internal drive is referred to as shucking and should be avoided.

Iíve managed to interface this drive w/ an old western digital My Book PCB so did I just unshuck a drive basically the reverse of shucking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disc management.jpg (99.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #12
Fully Optimized

[QUOTE=stevethebrain;12199003]update of progress

all other HDD are recognized as basic except disk 5 it's unknown not initialized and unallocated
[QUOTE]

You need to change the drive with system to Allocated. then format and then it should see and be able to use it.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

There's no problem if the driver letter gets overtaken by another drive as long as it is not a system drive. So the H letter there is no problem for you.

Since the drive had files added to it; i.e. it was initialized once in the first place, the case now is questionable. Windows should not ask for initialization again. And for the records, initialize is not format. Two different things.

However, perhaps the series of episodes you had did something to the drive and made it un-intilazied or something? If so, that's new to me. In worst case scenario, you can just try to initialize it, again now. Because if not, the files copied to it are lost anyway. But to be honest, from the looks of it, the files seem to be lost

Storage devices don't typically need drivers to run if internal. If it's for the 2TB support, worst case I've been thru was needing drivers/BIOS update for the mobo to support more than 2TB drive, not drivers for the drive itself. That was for internal drives.

Using a drive from an external storage build internally in a desktop; e.g. dismantling that of an external My Book storage for that, is not a problem in itself. I did that once. The problem is the format/structure of the drives when they were inside the external enclosure like being set to a RAID settings that requires several drives working in tandem if the enclosure had two drives inside. Once that's taken care of, it's safe to do it. In my case the drive showed as data driver with the same data it had when it was in the external case. So I guess it can be done if one knows what they are doing.

Try one thing; there are apps out there that recover files and partitions. I think EaseUS has one. I did it once on a drive that couldn't be read and managed to recover some files, albeit some of them were corrupt. Give it a try and I hope you have sometime before the RMA. Found it: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/index.htm try the free tial version. It says that inaccessible drives are supported.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #14
In Runtime

If I do the following steps and choose to not format will the Simple Volume Wizard erase the files?
Are there 2 different Disk Management 1 w/ Administrative privileges 2nd
None Administrative privileges?

Disk Management.
3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then select New Simple Volume.
4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, select Next.
5. Enter the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then select Next.
6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then select Next.
7. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
8. If you don't want to format the volume right now, select Do not format this volume, and then select Next.
* To format the volume with the default settings, select Next.
1. Review your choices, and then select Finish.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:01 AM   #15
In Runtime

[QUOTE=Wallaby Dan;12199006][QUOTE=stevethebrain;12199003]update of progress

Quote:

You need to change the drive with system to Allocated. then format and then it should see and be able to use it.
I've already formatted prior to transferring file
Old 01-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #16
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
If I do the following steps and choose to not format will the Simple Volume Wizard erase the files?
Are there 2 different Disk Management 1 w/ Administrative privileges 2nd
None Administrative privileges?

Disk Management.
3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then select New Simple Volume.
4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, select Next.
5. Enter the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then select Next.
6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then select Next.
7. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
8. If you don't want to format the volume right now, select Do not format this volume, and then select Next.
* To format the volume with the default settings, select Next.
1. Review your choices, and then select Finish.
I'm afraid I dunno. AFAIK space cannot be unallocated unless there is no data in it. The best bet I can make now is to try to recover the files with a recovery tool.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #17
In Runtime

In recovery Windows is contradicting itself under drive it seeís the new volume
as it doe's in disc management

under status the drive cannot be found I'm assuming this term means rooten drive maybe this is why I can't select the new volume in recovery
Attach screen shot of restore.

even w/ the my book USB interface the drive disappears from device manager then I repower it and it reappears.

this must be why recovery & disc management recognizes the hardware but not the logical files.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg restor bad drive.jpg (81.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
Fully Optimized

I mean file recovery tools like the one form Easeus I linked earlier. It recovers files you cannot see for whatever reason and the one at hand could be one.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #19
In Runtime

ok I check into easus I've never used any 3rd party SW but will now will report back w/ results thanks
Old 01-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #20
Fully Optimized

I'm afraid Windows does not provide file recovery tools.

DOS used to have one called Undelete and you had to remember some letter that the tools asks you for. Many of those recovered files turned out corrupt for me anyway