bootup difficulty w/ new storage drive

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Win7 PC won't bootup stuck on starting windows

Recently having problems w/ windows7 first observation was very slow bootup.

I reinstalled the OS 2 days ago seamed to fix the issue.

2 days later it won't boot up stuck on starting windows

All this started w/ the installation of a new drive which has caused all kindof problems
It renamed itself which created conflicts w/ the windows media center because the sys I think is independent of media center as far as assigned storage, so it thinks the disk is full which it isn't it's the path or name of HDD created this conflict.

Anyway I remove the drive and the sys. Boots up fine.

My ? is can a faulty storage drive create bootup issues, this has to be the problem?

Apprehensive to reinsert this drive and attempt another boot just happy sys. Booted.

I have this drive in a hot swappable tray there's a bunch of recorded TV programs that I'd like to move to a know functioning HDD is there a risk of reinserting this drive then moving the files, which I actuelly did the error was disk full, it's a 2TB w/ maybe 20% used space. I believe this drive needs to be warrentyed.

Additionally this drive continues to disappear then reappear, the power & sata cables are tightly pressed in secure connection + my MOBO only has 6 sata ports and all are being used actuelly the 6th port was the DVD that I never use like a sata port is a sata port right it doesn't care if a HDD or DVD is connected right?

I prefer not to insert a known functioning drive in the same port to prove a good physical connection because the drive is sometimes recognized in w7 but always full in media center. Doe's all this sound like defective drive?
Please advice and thanks

I'm not sure which one you need help with. Solve the boot problem by starting in safe mode and run diagnostics using software to test if your hard drive and OS is working properly with no errors. Also check if partition is in place and no errors. Do this by unplugging new devices that you added from original setup.

Files can be recovered without booting assuming they are not corrupted

this new drive has created alot of issues mainly boot up.
now thats it's removed and I reinstalled the OS to the C drive which is a samsung evo

the sys boots fine'

what I can't understand is the other issue was when the new drive disappeared it also took another drive the G alot of the G files where moved to the new drive all other drives unaffected never moved anything from remaining drives.

I booted up this morning then inserted the new drive it's in a hot swappable tray it's didn't show up and the G disappeared again. this can't be normal?

the sata port could be bad I could swap cables from a know good port for testing.

can I put this drive in a sata to USB enclosure and expect to move the files back to the G and ditch this new defective drive?

this new drive must be defective waiting to hear from the 3rd party seller from new egg.Thanks

I'm confused. Are you replacing the system storage with a new because the old one is acting up while at the same time you connect the old one but the drive name is acting up?

If so, make sure the order of data SATA connections is correct or follows the recommendations and the bios has them in the correct order. This typically eliminates drive letter mixing.

If you just wanna copy the old data to the new drive, you can temporarily use the SATA cables of the optical drive for this, no problem.

What happened is I added a storage drive.

Installed it transferred files to it. then it started to disappear then reappear and when it disappeared the G drive where I moved files from to the new drive would also disappear.
I'm warranting this drive. sys. Won't boot w/ it connected. so I reinstall OS. I'd like to move the files back to the old storage before I send back.

What's the risk of connecting to a know functioning SATA & power to recover these files? Like could this drive have damaged it's SATA port and could possibly ruin another SATA port?
Thanks

Honestly, I would use an external dock instead of putting it back inside the system. Windows would treat it as an external drive and so wouldn't start switching out drive numbers.

after the reinstallation of OS win7 renamed all drive except C.

D,E.F,G, I assigned the new drive as T. besides the renaming is there a risk of damageing the SATA port w/ this new drive? thanks

Re-connecting SATA drives does not damage the ports if done per correct procedure unless the drive is defective to cause that damage or with over-use. Anything has a life span and a number of usages. Otherwise it's normal and made for that. Random disappearance in drive letters could mean one of the drives is damaged and disconnects randomly.

Always keep an external SATA connection set for data-only transfer. It's faster to work with. I use a case docking and a USB3 docking for that. I even use it to clone OS drives to new ones like in upgrading from HDD to SSD. Also it's best to have at least a second drive internally to keep the first one for OS and main utilities only. This will protect the non OS data (games, videos, etc.) and to run them properly at their best.

Update: was able to find the old 1TB MY book cables so I basically have a USB connection to the new problem HDD this drive is 2TB not sure if the old wires will support the 2TB problem drive, they plug in fine an drive sounds normal no clicking or abnormal noises.

The error message stated it was ready to use however the driver needed updating which I did. An verified in the drives properties where the drive is recognized as mybook1111 an working properly.

Still can't see the drive in my computer.
I've rebooted a few times this problem drive hasn't effected bootup connected to USB.

Still have a few days to recover files before RMAing.
Thanks for any adviceSTB

Attachments

• 1tb my book cables1.jpg
    1tb my book cables1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1tb my book cables2.jpg
    1tb my book cables2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2
update of progress

I just noticed that the DVD drive was named H it actually isn't connected remember I stole it's SATA port & power. however it's listed in disc. management.

all other HDD are recognized as basic except disk 5 it's unknown not initialized and unallocated

the last restart the sys. wanted me to initialize it I'm thinking this another slang PC term for formatting which the disc has been formatted prior to transferring files to it.

the small PCB contraption from inside my old my book used to interface the HDD as a USB has a reset button unsure of whats it's function is.

the other storage drives are CDEFG maybe windows wants to name this new drive as H and this created a conflict since H is being used for the DVD

remember in device manager the drive is named western digital 1111 I'm still confused which is actually the name in disc management I assume the second parentheses is the name and the first is the description.

lastly for right now why doe's this HDD properties indicate the drivers are the the latest and up to date. but another window came up stated 4 headings first three said disc was ready to use 3 different ways then the 4th said update drivers w/ red X?
thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom