Having a weird situation w/my son's laptop. Can you help? Below are the details.
Toshiba Satellite A305-S6916
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400/2 GHz
4 GB DDR2
320GB hard drive
Crashed. Kept getting BOOTMGR missing message.
Steps I took:
- Took the hard disk out, put it in an external hard disk docking station (to see what's in it, and to extract the thousands of songs my son stored in it).
- There was nothing shown in the hard disk! And the available disk space said 288GB.
- At this point, I just wanted to clean install Windows 7 in it. So, I formatted the disk (NTFS).
- I right clicked on the hard disk, chose Format and followed on-screen instructions to Quick Format. It Quick Formatted, but still came back with 288GB of available space. Not sure what happened to the rest of space.
- I reinstalled the hd into the laptop.
- Put in the Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) disk. After the initial Toshiba logo screen, it said BOOTMGR missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. I kept pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, it would again show the initial Toshiba screen, and back to the BOOTMGR missing screen.
- So, I went into the BiOS, changed the boot sequence to FDD 1st, then HDD. This time when I restarted the machine, it said something like Press any key to load from CD/DVD drive. I press any key, it shows the same dreaded message..........BOOTMGR missing.
Any help how I can salvage this laptop? If I need to buy a fresh new hard disk, I am willing to do so, ONLY if it assures it would fix the problem (because, if it doesn't fix the issue, I cannot return the new hard disk).