Boot Loaders for win/linux

Huh, I just installed Ubuntu 11.04, dual boot, on my Vista 64bit machine. It was easy using a downloaded and burned Ubuntu image and the directions at the Illustrated dual boot site. There are a number of ways to go about it, as described at the website.

I am really liking Ubuntu these days. I installed it on one of my old notebook computers and was so impressed that I decided to dual boot my current desktop machine.

[edit]
Depending on the size of the hard disk you intend to install Linux on, I suggest about 15GB for "/" (the boot or OS partition), about 2GB for the swap partition and the remainder for a "/home" partition. That allows you to format the "/" partition and reinstall Ubuntu (not sure if it works with Debian) without losing your bookmarks and settings.

Depending on the size of the hard disk you intend to install Linux on, I suggest about 15GB for "/" (the boot or OS partition), about 2GB for the swap partition and the remainder for a "/home" partition. That allows you to format the "/" partition and reinstall Ubuntu (not sure if it works with Debian) without losing your bookmarks and settings.
this would work with Debian too. you'll just have to tell it to mount the disk as /home and not format it.

There is no set size for the /swap partition, the /swap partition is just the same as the pagefile.sys on a windows machine (i.e. it's where information in RAM is swapped to). as a guide generally it should be between 0.5 - 1.5 times the amount of memory you have in a machine. (so if you only have 512MB of RAM, 2GB is a waste of space, if you have 6GB of RAM it's not enough space).

...There is no set size for the /swap partition, the /swap partition is just the same as the pagefile.sys on a windows machine (i.e. it's where information in RAM is swapped to). as a guide generally it should be between 0.5 - 1.5 times the amount of memory you have in a machine. (so if you only have 512MB of RAM, 2GB is a waste of space, if you have 6GB of RAM it's not enough space).

That's good to know!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom