boot files not on c:/

Cortb

In Runtime
So, let me start by saying I just upgraded to the new ryzen platform, and i'm not certain that this is purely a software issue. Also, i'm running windows 10 ENTERPRISE insider preview build 14986, legally obtained, i assure you.

So, after assembling my mismash of new and old parts (new: cpu, mobo, &ram, old: hdd, ssd & psu.) My pc wouldn't boot up when I selected my ssd that i thought contained the OS. I tried changing bios settings and using the install media to do repairs (which failed), those didn't work, but i was able to boot just fine on a windows 2 go drive, so i knew it wasn't the new hardware at issue.

during the final attempt, i accidentally selected one of my HDDs and, oddly, it booted just fine. i'm in it now, and it seems to be working fine. but i thought it was weird that i had to select the hdd to boot instead of the ssd. and even though it boots up using the hdd, the ssd is still listed as c:/ .

i'm not really sure what i'm doing wrong here. i'd like to move my 1tb hdds to my nas PC (built from leftover parts of my last computer) but i can't while one of them is required to boot the new system.

any thoughts guys?

Can you take a screenshot of My computer, as well as Disk Management? I would like to have a look at it before starting diagnose further.

Take the old HDD out and force it to try and boot from the SSD. I would also disable the "Execute Disable Bit" and set your boot options to Legacy IDE or AHCI... disable the Secure Boot in BIOS.

After that, I would just use your install DVD and install Windows back onto the SSD. Make sure the SSD is on SATA channel 0, and the HDD is on Sata channel 1 (where they physically plug in). After you have Windows up and running, plug in the secondary HDD and go into BIOS to ensure your SSD is set as the primary boot device.

RE: Not all Software
As an AMD fanboy, this is hard to say... AMD is really taken a dump as far as stability goes in my mind. I'm running the FX 8350 and have two R9 270X's in Crossfire and I've had constant troubles. Surprising when the parts are made for that purpose. Took them out of crossfire and most of the issues went away, but there's still problems that can't easily be quantified. After YEARS of being on AMD... my next build will be an Intel platform.

I'll get the screen shots up as soon as I get home from work.

I have tried booting with only the ssd plugged in. but that doesn't work, same error. and i'll give the bios options a try, but i don't recall seeing them in the bios.

i don't have a dvd for install. it was all downloaded online through the windows insider program when they were giving it away for free (even the enterprise version). i'm honestly not sure if i can even get another piece of install media now, since i don't own an enterprise and don't want to pay thousands. they do offer the 90 day free trial of it but i wouldn't be able to keep/transfer my free license afaik. i was really glad it even booted up after all the changes to the hardware i made.

Do you still have the key for it? Get the Windows 10 Media Creation tool, put it on a USB then just select Enterprise during install and use your key.

EDIT: I should note there are known issues with the USB portion of the Windows Media Tool. So just select ISO download to get the file, then use Rufus to put that on a USB with the "UEFI only" option.

This page has the entire process documented with links to both.

Last edited:
iirc the key was generic and it was later associated with my (hotmail) live account. i'd prefer not to wipe the ssd if i can help it, as i'm not sure i'd be able to get my enterprise license back if i do.
{edit: although... i've been looking for an excuse to buy an m.2 drive, then i could experiment with reinstalling without risking my enterprise license.}

disk managaement:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5U6W2X7t8uhcEpEdEh1eWQtUGc

my computer:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5U6W2X7t8uhZjlfZmdvRXVqV1k

Last edited:
iirc the key was generic and it was later associated with my (hotmail) live account. i'd prefer not to wipe the ssd if i can help it, as i'm not sure i'd be able to get my enterprise license back if i do.
{edit: although... i've been looking for an excuse to buy an m.2 drive, then i could experiment with reinstalling without risking my enterprise license.}

disk managaement:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5U6W2X7t8uhcEpEdEh1eWQtUGc

my computer:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5U6W2X7t8uhZjlfZmdvRXVqV1k

I have a few questions want to ask:

1. As I understand, you have switched from different hardware to the current one and keep the SSD from there, with Windows OS?

2. In BIOS, do you able to select both SSD and HDD? As I see, you have plugged one SSD, two HDDs into your computer, right?

3. Have you determined which HDD it's booted from?

I've encountered this issue before because I don't really thing it can boot in that way.

Can you determine the HDD you have selected to boot from (as described in the #1 post)?

Then, unplug the HDD left, and the SSD too. Try to boot from that HDD to see whether it's successful or not.

1 correct. got new mobo cpu and ram, kept the old drives gpu and psu.

2/3 yes, i can attempt to boot from each drive individually. but only the one plugged into sata#3 will get it to boot. i have tried removing all drives and booting to the ssd on sata#1, but haven't yet tried booting from the hdd on sata#3 with the others unplugged. I'll try that when i get home tonight.

sata port#:
1-ssd
2-unpopulated (for dvd drive that doesn't fit in case)
3-hdd that i CAN boot from
4 hdd that i can't boot from
5/6 -unpopulated.

Last edited:
1 correct. got new mobo cpu and ram, kept the old drives gpu and psu.

2/3 yes, i can attempt to boot from each drive individually. but only the one plugged into sata#3 will get it to boot. i have tried removing all drives and booting to the ssd on sata#1, but haven't yet tried booting from the hdd on sata#3 with the others unplugged. I'll try that when i get home tonight.

sata port#:
1-ssd
2-unpopulated (for dvd drive that doesn't fit in case)
3-hdd that i CAN boot from
4 hdd that i can't boot from
5/6 -unpopulated.

Then you probably need to try the method I mentioned to diagnose further. Make sure to remove all other SSD/HDD first. Just keep that one.

One more thing, have you ever installed OS into the HDD #3?

yes, i had a windows installation on it at one point in time, but i think i formatted it so i could use it in a raid 0 array. although, i'm fairly certain that it has other iso files on it for other versions of windows 7, 8, and 10. not sure if that has anything to do with it

Back
Top Bottom