Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Dieter
Default Black screen of death?

Oh I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and the rest of my computer specs are in my sig. When I turn my computer on it looks as if it is loading a resolution that is not the right size. the edges of my screen are cut off. then when i get into the user logon i log in and i have a black screen with only a cursor. I have tried going into task manager and running explorer.exe, sometimes it does nothing and no process starts, and other times all I get is a window as if I had clicked on my computer. I can run my computer in safe mode with networking and run firefox.exe. This si how I am writing this post now. I have gone into the registry and looked in the shell to make sure it was still listing explorer.exe as the value. I have gone online to look at registry viruses to see if I could delete any troublesome registry keys, didn't find anything. I have no idea what to do. Oh I also ran sfc /scannow and it stated there were some files that weren't working but could not repair them, and I also ran dir C:\windows\system32\explorer.exe and it found nothing. So all I can tell right now is that my computer doesn't have a explorer.exe file or maybe it is in some other location. But if I didn't have an explorer.exe file how would I be able to browse "my computer" when it opens sometimes. I hope someone can help me. One last thing, this is really interesting to me too, This all happened when i was not connected to ANY network what so ever. No wireless cards, no routers, no internet at all. I just moved so I had nothing except my computer and a tv.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Dieter
Default Re: Black screen of death?

Well figured it out myself. Hardrive craped out on me. I guess after 5 year it was time to replace old faithful anyways.