BIOS Questions

Sun Tzu

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have three questions. Why are motherboard settings controlled through BIOS rather than jumbers and swithes? What is a drawback of the configuring everything through BIOS? Why a motherboard has different buses that operate at different speeds?

I appreciate it if someone can help me.

Thanks. :D

in the old days the settings were done on the motherboard but its all done in the bios now.

Simply because its easier, its earier to go in to the BIOS and make a change than it is to open your computer and change some jumper settings.

in the old days the settings were done on the motherboard but its all done in the bios now.

Simply because its easier, its earier to go in to the BIOS and make a change than it is to open your computer and change some jumper settings.

Thanks. And may I ask What is a drawback of the configuring everything through BIOS?

Why a motherboard has different buses that operate at different speeds?

I appreciate it if you or anyone can help me.

The only drawback is that if the motherboard is giving you a problem and the system won't boot, you can't always rule out the motherboard easily with jumpers. Realistically, that's beside the point.

Motherboards have a highway that communicates with different pieces of hardware. Each highway can potentially transfer at higher speeds based on which kind of board you buy. For example, certain processors have higher clock speeds based on the price you pay, and the memory channels can support certain speeds also based on what you pay. Realistically, it depends on the chipset that determines what performance you get. The more expensive the chipset, typically, you get more performance.

Thank you JCB and nathandg2006. both of your posts are very informative to me.

Thanks again for helping me. :D

Back
Top Bottom