Best free antivirus anti malware software available?

dellboy1

Beta member
Hi im trying to find out what the best free anti virus and anti malware software there are. I googled it and there are countless different ones and i really dont know which to choose!

Currently i am using avast! and i was using AVG but its new update kept saying i would have to uninstall avast! but i dont really want to do that.

What free software do you all use and find useful?

Currently i am using avast! and i was using AVG but its new update kept saying i would have to uninstall avast! but i dont really want to do that.

Don't run 2 AV software at the same time, it's pointless.

I currently use Avast!, but AVG is probably just as good. And I run Malwarebytes if and when I have needed too.

I run Eset, best imo, Avast! has missed some viruses in the past for me but Super Anti spyware has never let me down and always gets the job done in emergencies

I have AVG, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntiSpyware installed. However, only AVG is set to run on boot. Each of these programs will occasionally pick up something the other ones did not.

I have to be another person to agree that AVG is a great product! You dont need to run 2 pieces of software at a time though that often times leads to issues. I would stick with just AVG and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware..

I use Comodo Internet Security suite.

The main thing I like about Comodo is the fact that you can control access to your computer and resources. Let's say you install a program on your computer that you downloaded from the internet and don't really know if it should have full access to your machine. With Comodo you can run the application in a sandbox disallowing access to vital system resources.
You can also set the firewall to Custom Policy, prompting you each time a program tries to connect to the internet. Some users like this, other's don't, but if you downloaded a program that shouldn't be sending information to the net, you can block it. You also have the option of allowing 'whitelisted' programs so that all known good applications are allowed to connect and only questionable apps will raise alarm.

The disadvantage of Comodo would have to be constant prompts if you're more hands off. You can set the program to make it's own decisions but you're still going to encounter the occassional prompt for access. This can sometimes get annoying, especially if you have it set to custom policy and are installing a program, you have about 5-15 prompts to allow or deny access to different system resources depending on the installation.

Overall though, I would recommend Comodo due to it's customizable access controls and price tag. It's also very light on system resources itself. You can find all the Comodo free products here.

Back
Top Bottom