Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 78
Default battery driver messed up

Hello,

Lately the battery on my computer has been acting up. I'll be working on my laptop unplugged and all of a sudden it will shut down. This will happen when the battery reads half full. I can start it up again by plugging it in. I leave it plugged in for a couple minutes and then unplug it just to check what percentage it reads. Indeed, it continues to read about 50% full (or a variety of values far above 0%).

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the battery driver. How would I do repairs or diagnostics on the battery driver?

I've got Windows 10.
__________________

__________________
gib88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,648
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Maybe this can help:

http://www.troublefixers.com/windows...rging-problem/
__________________

__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 78
Default Re: battery driver messed up

I ran a battery diagnostic and it produced a report. I uploaded the report here:

http://www.shahspace.com/battery_report.html

If you look at the "Battery usage" section, you can see a sharp drop at 7:05 on Jan 29. That's exactly when it happened. I opened my laptop at around 7:05 and after about 6 or 7 minutes (6 min and 45 sec according to the table) it spontaneously dropped by 73%. That's exactly what I experienced.

What does this mean?
__________________
gib88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,648
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib88 View Post
I ran a battery diagnostic and it produced a report. I uploaded the report here:

http://www.shahspace.com/battery_report.html

If you look at the "Battery usage" section, you can see a sharp drop at 7:05 on Jan 29. That's exactly when it happened. I opened my laptop at around 7:05 and after about 6 or 7 minutes (6 min and 45 sec according to the table) it spontaneously dropped by 73%. That's exactly what I experienced.

What does this mean?
Did you check the link I posted?
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 AM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 615
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Your link to that report doesn't work. Did you check the link AMD man posted?????????
__________________
pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 78
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Oops!

Try this instead: Battery report <-- dash instead of underscore.

I read the article but nothing stood out as obviously the cause of the problem. It *may* turn out to be one of those problems but I haven't looked into it deeply enough to be sure. I thought posting the report and getting a second pair of eyes look at it might help.
__________________
gib88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,648
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib88 View Post
Oops!

Try this instead: Battery report <-- dash instead of underscore.

I read the article but nothing stood out as obviously the cause of the problem. It *may* turn out to be one of those problems but I haven't looked into it deeply enough to be sure. I thought posting the report and getting a second pair of eyes look at it might help.
So, someone offers a potential solution but you don't look at it? How are we going to help you if not by eliminating all possible alternatives? Why propose other solutions if the one already presented is the solution? People expect too much of forums nowadays...

The article has probably 200 words. Try the solution presented there and report back. It's not like you have to reinstall Windows...
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
Wallaby Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 3,166
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
I am with AMD_man on this i think if you check this out all the way the solution is right there.
__________________
Then the train was gone,and there was nothing but rails, the earth, the moon, the river and strong silence-and the haunting and immortal visage of America by night
Thomas Wolfe
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 78
Default Re: battery driver messed up

What the hell?!?! It's not even a Windows 7 machine (no, this isn't related to my other thread).

And who said I didn't look at it? I'm in the process of reading through it now. Ever heard of multitasking? If offering your opinion on the battery report WHILE I read through the article is too much for you to handle, don't bother responding (I wouldn't want you to have an aneurysm).

Geez man, talk about up tight.

EDIT: oh wait, I get it. You're talking about devmgmt.msc. <-- I read that. Yes, I did title this thread "battery driver messed up" but that's just my current theory (based on what someone told me). I still want to be sure that's it. I thought you meant to read all the comments below.

Ok, ok, bad title on my part. But still... geeez.
__________________
gib88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,648
Default Re: battery driver messed up

I know it's not Windows 7. It's irrelevant. The method works for Windows 10 as well.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

You should check in the manufacturer's site for alternate drivers too.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 78
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Fair enough.

Tell you what. I'll reinstall the driver tonight. Couldn't hurt, right?
__________________
gib88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,648
Default Re: battery driver messed up

You should try and think back.

When did this start? Did you make any changes before it did? Did you install suspicious applications? Answers to this questions can give you the answer to your problem.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #13
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Keep in mind that Batteries are known for developing a "memory." Newer batteries don't have this issue as much, but it's still a problem.

What that means is this; And this is just a hypothetical using made up units to demonstrate the point.

Your battery can hold 100 power units. As it charges, it fills said power units. So you use the battery from 100, and use 50 units. Now the battery is at 50% life. You plug it in and charge back to 100. The same thing happens over and over, and the battery has a tendency to now think that 50 is the new 0. It can hold 100 units still, but because of the many times it was plugged in before being actually at 0, it moves the "empty" marker to that spot. Basically, the battery thinks it is empty when it hits 50 even though Windows can see it has plenty of juice left.

Given everything you've said... my money is on your battery just developed a memory. I've not yet found a way to resolve this as it has something to do with the onboard power controller. Get a new battery and follow the charging instructions! New batteries are just waiting to set the empty and full markers so seriously, follow the instructions. I've replaced a few and walked away, inadvertently ruining the battery because I didn't disconnect at the proper percentage. You wouldn't think these things would be so fickle... but they are.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,648
Default Re: battery driver messed up

∆∆∆

That's true. That's why there are so many "battery calibration" apps in Android. The battery starts using some value as the new 0 and as a result, it runs out faster, while in reality you just used a smaller fraction.

Maybe there are some similar programs in Windows, although I can't vouch for their effectiveness.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #15
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 78
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
You should try and think back.

When did this start? Did you make any changes before it did? Did you install suspicious applications? Answers to this questions can give you the answer to your problem.
Not that I can think of. Looking at my programs in control panel, I see a whole bunch of programs that it says were installed very recently. Microsoft OneDrive on Jan 25, Adobe Acrobat on Jan 24, etc. I know I've had Acrobat for ages, so I have no idea what it's talking about (probably updates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwd
Keep in mind that Batteries are known for developing a "memory." Newer batteries don't have this issue as much, but it's still a problem.

What that means is this; And this is just a hypothetical using made up units to demonstrate the point.

Your battery can hold 100 power units. As it charges, it fills said power units. So you use the battery from 100, and use 50 units. Now the battery is at 50% life. You plug it in and charge back to 100. The same thing happens over and over, and the battery has a tendency to now think that 50 is the new 0. It can hold 100 units still, but because of the many times it was plugged in before being actually at 0, it moves the "empty" marker to that spot. Basically, the battery thinks it is empty when it hits 50 even though Windows can see it has plenty of juice left.

Given everything you've said... my money is on your battery just developed a memory. I've not yet found a way to resolve this as it has something to do with the onboard power controller. Get a new battery and follow the charging instructions! New batteries are just waiting to set the empty and full markers so seriously, follow the instructions. I've replaced a few and walked away, inadvertently ruining the battery because I didn't disconnect at the proper percentage. You wouldn't think these things would be so fickle... but they are.
WOW!!! Is that by software design or a physical limitation?

I guess the trick then is to keep it unplugged all day and only let it recharge over night.

Question: if I just let it die at 50% every time, will it eventually remember to mark 'empty' at a lower point?
__________________
gib88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Default Re: battery driver messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib88 View Post
WOW!!! Is that by software design or a physical limitation?
To be honest; I have no idea. I suspect it has something to do features that let the OS know you need to save your work. Not sure how batteries "modify" their memory, but it's a common phenomena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib88 View Post
I guess the trick then is to keep it unplugged all day and only let it recharge over night.
Uhhh... If you really look into the best practices to extend battery longevity, they're simply not practical. The "BEST" thing is charge it when it dies, unplug when full. I've read (I don't know how true this is) that charging a battery when it's full also causes damage over time. Considering the cost of batteries are around $30-$50 USD and you get a few years out of them... I just go about my business and not worry about it. If I have to replace a shitty battery in two years... it was worth the $50. That's just me though; you can find all sorts of info on proper battery care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib88 View Post
Question: if I just let it die at 50% every time, will it eventually remember to mark 'empty' at a lower point?
Nope. You have to drain it somehow. So if the laptop dies at 50%, it's not going to want to turn on. Somehow you have to get the charge lower than the 50% and consistently to get the battery to recognize it's marker is wrong. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know how to do that and can explain it. A quick Google search for "fix bad battery memory" resulted in many results, this one explaining better than I did:
Memory Effect - What it is and what you can do about it
__________________

__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×