Backup-Software for Windows

#mkb#

Solid State Member
Hi!

I'm looking for a secure, convenient way to back up my files regularly. I used Areca-Backup before, but there always were some errors and it appears the software doesn't receive updates anymore.
Are there some good alternatives to recommend? Open Source preferred :)

I know it's not open source, but windows does have a decent backup manager...

settings>updates/security>backup

Yes, I'm looking for a free backup software.

I know Windows has an integrated backup-manager, but it doesn't work on my machine. Furthermore it appears, that Windows assumes, that the backup drive is always connected, which kinda defeats the purpose of a backup drive :confused:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look into it :)

the windows backup feature is a method for preserving data in case the main drive fails. It's not a substitute for off site backup.

And the purpose of keeping the drive connected is so that it can run the backup as often as you let it, hourly daily w/e... and i think you can actually use a removable drive, as long as it's a drive letter that won't accidentally get used, i start my back up drives at Z:

Even I am looking for a good backup tool for Windows, especially my Windows Outlook. Suggest me if you have known a good tool for the same.
On Mac, Time Machine is the God of backup. For mails, I prefer Mail Backup X for easier retrievals.

I use Windows 7 backup utility on Windows 10 and the backup drive I'm using is removable. Windows doesn't say it is always connected. I do regular backup manually; automatic backup is disabled. Only problem is that it includes another drive to backup instead of only the system drive so I have to physically disconnect all drives and only leave the OS drive connected to do the backup.

But my case could be different. I use it only to backup the system drive with a system image in case of only system failure. Although I do not see a problem in backing up everything, I've never tried it to judge (if I backup material files I'd do it with copy paste only).

Are you backing up all files or only the system drive? I think it is a good idea to try to fix your Windows back up (Win7 mode) and give it a try. It's easy to use and doesn't require external resources except a way to start Windows repair.

Back
Top Bottom