Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Any Linux Recommendations?

DIY: Rescue and recover systems with the Knoppix Linux distribution | TechRepublic
This has the download links and links to a program to make a bootable USB thumb drive. This is version 7 for Knoppix. I've used version 5 and version 7. I lean more toward V7.
It is stable. Has drivers for modern systems built in. And it's very user friendly.
And it's got more goodies than you'll ever use that are part of the package.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Baseband Member

Alright, thanks for the recommendation Seti. I will try it out after I get around to the other distros. (Hopefully by the end of this week)

drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Omnicide now.

Definitely Debian. Get the Wheezy (7.0) RC though. The bug list is down to 51 right now, so it should be quite stable. Squeeze (6.0) is probably the most stable distro I've ever used, but it's so extremely out of date, you'll have lots of dependency problems when trying to install newer applications. Also, make sure you do the DVD or netinstall, since the first CD no longer contains all the necessary packages. Last time I installed from the CD, most of the packages needed to make wireless networking work weren't there, so I ended up having to copy over something like 30 .deb files on a flash drive and install them manually.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Definitely Debian. Get the Wheezy (7.0) RC though. The bug list is down to 51 right now, so it should be quite stable. Squeeze (6.0) is probably the most stable distro I've ever used, but it's so extremely out of date, you'll have lots of dependency problems when trying to install newer applications. Also, make sure you do the DVD or netinstall, since the first CD no longer contains all the necessary packages. Last time I installed from the CD, most of the packages needed to make wireless networking work weren't there, so I ended up having to copy over something like 30 .deb files on a flash drive and install them manually.
Alright, thanks for the tip Foothead. I will make sure I note that when I get to downloading Debian. (Have to download it at school cause download speed is awful at home at 100kb/s)

drill is offline   Reply With Quote